Neck leaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have another tool that cuts a new ring groove. I can't find it online, it is an old Peter built tool. I think he is out of business.
Pete sold the business some time ago, but it is still around with a new owner: scubatools.com

As mentioned by others, the primary cause of neck leaks is corrosion and debris around the neck and valve sealing surfaces. We've never seen that the durometer of the neck o-ring made any difference to neck leaks, and we've used both Shore 70A NBR (aka nitrile, Buna-N, etc) and Shore 90A FKM (aka FPM, Viton, etc) O-rings.

In addition, on what are otherwise clean and properly prepared cylinders, we have encountered leaks caused by lubricant. Either existing lubricant that was not removed from the sealing surfaces or lubricant that was applied to the tank neck O-ring.... all of the lubricants seemed to occasionally be involved, but so called 'Super Lube' was the most noticeable cause. In the opinion of Mark G at PSI, it is only excessive lubrication on the O-ring and sealing surfaces that will cause neck leaks, but when we stopped lubricating entirely the occasional tank neck leaks stopped as well.

Back
Top Bottom