need a fin recommendation, please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could someone please share its views on the Mares Avanti Quattro open heel fins? I fancy a pair of those but Id like to hear people's thoughts on them first. thanks.

Could someone please share its(?) views on the Mares Avanti Quattro open heel fins? I fancy a pair of those but Id like to hear people's thoughts on them first. thanks.

Many warm water recreational divers think the Quattro is the best open heel dive fin. Many of those divers also own and use free dive fins. Divers who do not own/use free dive fins might not have the leg strength to comfortably use such a powerful fin.

Last edited:
I have open heal Quattros. I LOVE Them....(don't you hate when people say that?)
I've tried maybe 7 different fin brands (not Jetfins though) and I get the most per kick out of the Quattros, except for my longblades but I don't use those for scuba. My son has a pair of full fit Quattros and LOVES them too.

Could someone please share its views on the Mares Avanti Quattro open heel fins? I fancy a pair of those but Id like to hear people's thoughts on them first. thanks.

These fins have been amongst the top rated fins for quite a while. My hubby has owned a couple of pairs in the past 15 years and swears by them in warm or cold conditions, fresh or salt, current or not. They are his "go to fins".

That being said, they are long rather heavy fins that I just couldn't get into. But then he's 6' 4" & I'm 5' 4". Personally, I use Mares Volo Powers.

However, as with any piece of equipment, I'd say try them... then decide!

I have both open heel Quattros and full-foot Power Quattros, and I love them. I am 5' 7" female and don't have any problems with powering them. Of course folks often comment on my speed and swimming up-current at will in Cozumel...
Funny that they are considered heavy. I wore a pair of Reeflex out completely - before I got my Mares. I had to get used to how light they feel in the water!

Your profile doesn't give enough information for me to guess at your leg strength....

See if you can't get someone to let you try a pair, juanfr22. I'll bet you'll be sold.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts! cheers!
Pelagicsal, I do have strong legs, I play squash at competitive level (no arroggance or anything!) and im 1,73 cm tall. I'll be diving next month on Pacific waters, hopefully the dive resort there will have them for me to try out. all over the internet I see positive reviews, I just can't wait to try them out! thanks again!

Oh, ha! They'll feel like extensions of your legs!

Back
Top Bottom