Need advice and help on surface bouyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadudee,
Bug told you how to do it. Most divers do over inflate on the surface. This will cause you to pitch forward. Use the minumin amount of air to float, lean back and enjoy. Make sure you're not over weighted to begin with, and this should solve your face down problem. This works with my Ranger. :tree: Bob

It is all about the torques arond the COG (Center Of Gravity).

The Back Inflated BC will rotate the diver forward.
The tank (in case of empty steel) rotates backwards (if its buoyancy is negative and most 12-15 liter steel tanks are).
The tank ( in case of empty AL) rotates forward (if its buoyancy is positive and in case of 12 liter AL it is).
The weights will add or subtract forward torque, based on their position relative to the COG. In case that they are behind the COG they will rotate the diver backwards and if they are placed in front of the COG they will rotate the diver forward.

So yes, the placement of the weight does make a difference.

Ari :)

I dive steel 104's and Al 80's. I carry no weight on my tank bands. One just has to learn how to do it right. :tree: Bob

Yes...but sure there should some kind of tactics? Or you mean I have to drink a few mouthful and learn the hard way?

:)

Back
Top Bottom