Need advice on lighting for Hero3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texellis

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a Hero3 and i'm looking for a pair of video lights to use at night, under ledges, and when the sun doesn't cooperate during day dives. I recognize the limitations of the Hero3 so these lights may be used for a better video rig in the future. They will be mated to an SRP tray for now. My reading has narrowed it down to Sola 1200s or iTorch Video Pro4 but am still open to suggestions. A few salesman have suggested the Sola 500s is all I need for a Hero3 but I'm concerned they won't be "enough" for a better rig in the future. I've read many threads concerning Sola charging issues so the iTorch user changeable batteries are very intriguing. The Sola has a lot more reputation to ride on but is it worth the extra money? Any help or real world experience would be greatly appreciated.

I've got Sola 600's and I would love 1200's or 2000's, they are pricey but if your budget allows for those then you can't go wrong. 500's don't have the same flood pattern as the 800/1200/2000 video lights or even my old 600's which you can't get anymore. The only charging issues I'm aware of are that the batteries go to "sleep" if left unused for a long time. Never happened to me but you just have to connect/disconnect a few times to wake them up. Its in the manual. The Sola's are completely sealed and charge fast, for user friendliness and design you can't beat them IMO. Unscrewing lights, changing batteries, checking o rings, worrying about flooding... on every dive... no thanks.

---------- Post added February 25th, 2013 at 05:13 AM ----------

Also... the batteries in the Sola's can be changed if needed. The lights unscrew but doing so voids the warranty. If once outside warranty the batteries wear out, you can replace the Li-ion batteries in the Sola's easily enough.

fbk - Thanks for the reply. How long have you had the 600s? There are many threads out there regarding Sola charging issues but most seem to be at least a year old. I'm wondering if there were issues that have been resolved. I'd love to have a Sola 1200 and an iTorch Video Pro4 side by side to compare. I really like the idea of user changeable batteries.

I have had twin sola 1200's for over a year now. They have well over 100 dives on them. They work great. I wish I had more. I do wish they had a longer burn time at full power, but I make due.

Here is a video shot using them. They are tray mounted with my Hero 3 Black.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...twIwAA&usg=AFQjCNFsv2kWmeVHDRP9P0RT5a9xYPn3wQ

I don't know if that link will work. If not google "that 70 degree waterhole".

I've got a Hero3 and i'm looking for a pair of video lights to use at night, under ledges, and when the sun doesn't cooperate during day dives. I recognize the limitations of the Hero3 so these lights may be used for a better video rig in the future. They will be mated to an SRP tray for now. My reading has narrowed it down to Sola 1200s or iTorch Video Pro4 but am still open to suggestions. A few salesman have suggested the Sola 500s is all I need for a Hero3 but I'm concerned they won't be "enough" for a better rig in the future. I've read many threads concerning Sola charging issues so the iTorch user changeable batteries are very intriguing. The Sola has a lot more reputation to ride on but is it worth the extra money? Any help or real world experience would be greatly appreciated.

I am also considering the ITorch http://www.i-divesite.com/product_light_fl448.htm

or

F.I.T. Pro Series LED 2000 Video Light

or

VPRO vidéo GRALmarine- HLBDIVE

Let us know what your thoughts are.

Sola are much lighter than the other options
Your starting point are the sola dive 800 that have spot and flood and can be used as torch and video. If you can afford get a 1200

Also to consider Epoque EL1000 A105 cost nothing and have 1000 lumens, not sure the can be found in US but here are less than $250 each. Look more like torches and don't have extended burn time but sufficient for a couple of dives

If you haven't made your choice yet you might want to look at our new pro5, inexpensive, bright and does not weigh very much. It has been very popular. You don't need to spend more on a light than what your GoPro costs....

i-Torch Video Pro5

If you haven't made your choice yet you might want to look at our new pro5, inexpensive, bright and does not weigh very much. It has been very popular. You don't need to spend more on a light than what your GoPro costs....

i-Torch Video Pro5

What do those retail for? I would be interested in trying one out for my cave videos.

MSRP is $399, retailers may sell for less.

We had a couple guys down in the caves using 2 of them with a Sony action cam. They were very happy with the results!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Doug

MSRP is $399, retailers may sell for less.

We had a couple guys down in the caves using 2 of them with a Sony action cam. They were very happy with the results!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Doug

Thanks Doug. I have a lot of lights now, but am looking for some that can be handed off to other divers to light up further areas. These look like they could work.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom