Need Alternative To Sudafed 12 Hour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always use generic/house brand pseudoephedrine 4-6 hour tabs (go my last batch at Walgreen pharmacy). I have never had a problem when doing two dives, as we're typically talking about no more than 1 hour down, then maybe an hour surface interval at most, then another hour down. I take them usually just before getting on the boat. And for me, I find that clearing my ears on the way up is easier than on the way down, so while the pseudoephedrine has never worn off while I was diving, even if it did (and it would not completely wear off anyway) I figure it would not be a huge problem at the end of a dive.

Exactly what this person has posted. Get the generic/house brand, from behind the counter at Target or Walmart, Pseudophedrine HCI, 30mg. These are the 4 to 6 hour versions, and do wonders if needed, YMMV. Target seems to be the cheapest. I'm not a doctor, just sayin' what works for me.

Technical solution to a training problem. You need to develop sinus control. Any ancient ninja training scroll should get you started.

Its that theoritical oxtox risk with pseudoephedrine (though given the number of divers that use it and the infinitesimal number of events that risk must be quite small) that has me occasionally substitute generic Afrin, especially for repetitive dives. So far it seems to work for me though I understand the suggestion that since the action is local it may not be doing much for the eustachian tubes themselves. I also wonder about the known effects pseudophedrine has on blood pressure and cardiac function given the age of many dives and the link between cardiac events and older divers.

I have seen individuals hooked on Afrin but its judicious use in select cases is reasonable. Limiting the dose to once daily prior to diving may also help prevent rebound.

Also read up on Psudoephedrine and the increased risk of Oxtox if you are using nitrox.

Mostly a rumor. How do you prove it conclusively? WAY too many variables. Falls into the category of diving mythology.

Post #16 by maj2 is excellent!

I use time released generic Sudafed capsule (not tablet). I can't find the prescription bottle right now. It looks like there a 2 different meds in the capsule. I also use Afrin. Be careful Afrin can be addicting. When I find my bottle I will edit this post.

For what it's worth I take Claritin D and use nitrox I didn't mean to seem like I was trying to scare anyone I read about the potential risks and decided I was more worried about the 6 or 12 hour dose running out and leading to a reverse block more than toxing at depth. I do the 24 hour dose at breakfast when diving.

IT AIN'T ADDICTING....DAMMIT!!!
Quit spreading that BS. It has REBOUND!!!!!!
Look it up. Find out WHAT it's doing and WHY it's doing it.
While technically this is true, use of the term addiction when referring to Afrin type sprays is not one of my pet peeves, especially if using such a term gives someone pause. I admit I have been guilty of just this when trying to prevent its overuse by my patients or when trying to convince a user to stop. I then explain just what I mean by this but it does help me get my point across.

As I said, I have seen that deer in the headlight look when I have told patients they have got to stop using it and even seen a nurse leave work and head to the drugstore for a supply when she realized she didn't have enough for the day.

Edit, link added: Nasal spray addiction: Is it real? - Mayo Clinic

Last edited:
Mostly a rumor. How do you prove it conclusively? WAY too many variables. Falls into the category of diving mythology.
Hmmm. The biological plausibility is enough to at least give me pause. I don't want to be a part of the statistical evidence in years to come. And if I remember correctly DAN was part of a study in rats that "suggested" an association between high doses and increasd risk.

But then again, for personal reasons, I have been know to push the edge at least in ppo2 percentages.

Last edited:
So right now my options are to use the short acting Sudafed that is still available but they last only 4-6 hours. The other option is to take one of the 12 hour formulations of products that combine a decongestant with an antihistamine and an analgesic as well in some cases.

I don't know what to do. I certainly don't want the short acting Sudafed to wear off while I'm in the water so if I take those, I may have to pop another in between dives if it's a day long boat dive. Or take one of those other 12 hour formulations that I have not tried yet.
Either should work fine. Results do certainly vary, but if you are ok with 12 hour pseudonym - pseudoephedrine, then you should be fine taking the shorter duration pill more often. Or try the compound that includes an antihistamine and see how it feels, as it probably won't bother you. Try it on land well before flying to be safe, but then take it the mornings of flights and dives both.

mucinex D
Do you happen to know the differences, if any...??

I always use generic/house brand pseudoephedrine 4-6 hour tabs (go my last batch at Walgreen pharmacy). I have never had a problem when doing two dives
Yep, and don't run out again. I pick up a box every time I go to Lubbock to keep well supplied, unless I am close to 300 tabs. My state does not seem to have a limit on number allowed in possession, but some states do limit to 300 - so I keep my inventory below that just in case. I've known of whackos here reporting people unjustly, and they got searched thoroughly - innocent after proven so.

The med is increasingly difficult to find tho, so I do want to keep a few months supply on hand, just in case.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom