Need Design for Underwater Pumpkin Carving Contest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zf2nt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This October 26 the Monterey Bay Sea Otters will again host their Underwater Pumpkin Carving contest. While this may sound like so much silliness, I tried it for the first time last year and discovered that it was quite challenging...and a lot of fun. Thus I'm actively preparing to make a return bid this year. What I need is a good design. I'd like to do something nautical, since this is all about diving, but it needs to be something I can complete in an hour or so. I think a good pumpkin design needs to be "scary", and what most divers would associate with "scary" is sharks. So I'm thinking of a design with a GWS in it...or maybe two. If you have seen a good graphic somewhere with sharks in it, a graphic that could translate into a pumpkin carving design, please send me a pointer to it. It needs to be relatively simple, since the rules of the competition do not allow you to go down with anything already drawn on the pumpkin. A stencil in your pocket is OK, but I'm not sure I want to go that route. I would rather draw the design freehand on the pumpkin with a grease pencil than fumble around on the bottom trying to attach a stencil.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bruce

The rules for the Sonoma Coast Ghost games are that the pumpkin is uncut and no drawings on it. A game bag or such with lead in it allows you to get it underwater. I first cut the top open then struggle to get the top off by bleeding the air pressure out. The top will immediately want to float to the surface so it gets put back in the game bag with a pound of weight. Then the rest of the weight gets put into the pumpkin to keep it on the bottom. Then let the actual carving begin.

I have seen some awesome shark designs and probably have some photos on my desktop that I haven't turned on in ages. That pumpkin took first place. I took first place last year, and did all the carving with a Hogarthian type knife. Broke my knife for the second round, and wound up finishing it with my shears. From now on I will probably be using a regular full length steak knife. Wound up getting second place this year and utilized the ocean. Two sea shells for ears, some kelp for hair, a dead crab donated it's front pinchers, and a kelp frond made up the nose.

Glad to see you are out diving more for fun lately.

The rules for the Sonoma Coast Ghost games are that the pumpkin is uncut and no drawings on it. A game bag or such with lead in it allows you to get it underwater. I first cut the top open then struggle to get the top off by bleeding the air pressure out. The top will immediately want to float to the surface so it gets put back in the game bag with a pound of weight. Then the rest of the weight gets put into the pumpkin to keep it on the bottom. Then let the actual carving begin.
Our rules are almost the same, except we are allowed to go in the water with a hole no larger than 1/2" in the top and bottom in order to allow the pumpkin to fill with water before you go down. Even full of water, mine must have been at least 3# positive last year. After I got the top off, I put a 4# weight in it and it was barely negative. The "learning lesson" I took away from last year was not to buy the biggest pumpkin in the store! It must have taken me 20 minutes to cut the top out. This year I'll have a drywall keyhole saw in my tool kit!

I like your idea about using the sea for decorative effects. I'll try to think of a way to work that in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom