Need help finding & identifying these vintage scuba items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is a cool find.

I'm still hoping someone here will end up messaging me that they have one they can sell me or know someone who can. :D

The wire pack looks like an early SCOTT SCBA pack. For firefighting or industrial air supply.

Jeff

The wire pack looks like an early SCOTT SCBA pack. For firefighting or industrial air supply.

Jeff

Agree, I worked at a company that used the Scott scba and that looks like what we had.

Hello.
I've been looking for these items for ages, but it never occurred to me to come to a scuba forum and ask the experts.

All 3 of these items are definitely pre-1980 as a point of reference. Probably mid seventies.

I'm really hoping someone here can point me in the right direction for the following items. One of the items, I know exactly what it is, I just need someone to sell me one (or two). The other two items, I also need identified as well.

Item #1
Techinsub Pulce 40 speargun

technisubpulce40.jpg

Item #2
Scuba boots, booties?

They might look a bit different as I think the ones in this pic have been re-colored (and possibly maybe even had the soles replaced).

boots.jpg

Item #3
Scuba oxygen tank harness.

I'm looking for this exact model. Sorry, best pic I have. :shakehead:

02harness.jpg

If anyone has any of these items for sale, or can help identify the second two items, please email me at gino@columbus.rr.com
I feel like I'm looking for a needle in a haystack, so hopefully someone here can come through.

Thanks for taking a look.
Gino

Gino,

Your best bet for that style harness is a WWII surplus store. I have seen photos that are very close to what you show, but all those harnesses were home-made. The book, dive, the complete book of skin diving by Rick and Barbara Carrier (Wilfred Funk, Inc., New York, 1957) has an article which shows how to make a scuba harness from Army surplus equipment. They basically took a WWII Army rucksack frame and mounted a tank onto it. The tanks shows look to be 38 cubic foot tanks, and they were used in an RKO Pictures film which starred Jane Russell and one other Hollywood name, who's face I recognize but I cannot pull out the name. Anyway, it is shown in the chapter titled "Build It Yourself." I'll try scanning it to show here.

SeaRat

Last edited:
Gino,

Take a look and see what you think:
SurplusBackpack1.jpg

These are the instructions for making the scuba backpack out of the US Army Surplus rucksack frame.

SurplusBackpack2.jpg

Here is the other page, demonstrating the backpack in use for the movie that Jane Russell starred in.

I'm not sure whether this is from Underwater or not:

http://sharkdivers.blogspot.com/2009/02/world-blog-archive-shark-bloggers.html

Actually, it appears that it is, and the co-star is Gilbert Rowland.

http://www.amazon.com/Underwater-VHS-Jane-Russell/dp/6301278445

The one you want may also be from a Scott Hydro-Pak, as stated above. But they don't look quite the same, and I don't have a good photo of the pack itself.

SeaRat

Last edited:
Here are the first two pages of that chapter, showing Jane Russell and the backpack again, along with the home-made ladder (actually, probably made by Hollywood craftsmen).

SurplusBackpack.jpg

Surplus.jpg

From dive, the complete book of skin diving by Rick and Barbara Carrier (Wilfred Funk, Inc., New York, 1957)

SeaRat

your bac-pac pic resembles the early mountaineering o2 bottle holders used for high altitude climbing ex. edmond hillery

I searched but couldn't find any images.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom