need help with first time roatan issues.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A big question is what does she do at a 'beach.' I ask because when cruising or seeing people at tropical beaches, I see a number of them on their backs in loungers wearing sun glasses looking at the sky. Seems to me it wouldn't matter whether they were on sand or a ship deck, or in their back yard at home on a hot summer day. Then again, I'm generally not regarded as a romantic.

Someone who wanted to build sand castles or had a strongly romanticized view of beaches might have a different view. I get tired walking across sand, as it slides under my feet.

Show her their web site & the photos, and see if she thinks lounging around there would be fun. This TripAdvisor page has lots of photos.

I have not been to Roatan, but would like to go.

Is she okay with stairs? It may be useful if people who've been to some of these places can advise whether guests will need to use stairs to get to the restaurant, etc...

Richard.

P.S.: A couple of people posted fine posts while I was working on mine. My 2 links I provided related to CocoView Resort.

there is little to no beach at coco view, correct?

Nor is there a pool but they do have a good size deck that leads out over the water to catch the sun... Walk into the water to snorkel is short as well as the walk to the dining room...

I am one of those who pushes CocoView but in your case, maybe not... If she ended up on crutches or even a wheelchair because the knee swelled up well, there are a couple of steps that can not be avoided to the dining room... Depending on the direction of travel may be as little as 4 steps or as many as 6-7 steps...

There is plenty of good snorkeling for her but if your looking for a bar in town, that's a cab ride. I your looking to shop, again, a cab ride. CCV has a bar and each day someone sets up and sell their wares...

Its going to be a tough call no mater where you decide to go but I am not sure I would blow off CCV because of the lack of a sandy beach. As long as she does not get bored, likes to read and lay in the sun; really don't know if there is a better place to do what your looking for with as few steps possible than CCV... Think I just talked myself into it!!! :)

Best of luck... lee

Reactions: Doc
A lot depends on what you're looking for in a resort. Infinity Bay is great, but it is high end and you can get reasonable accomodation for less money, if that's the sort of thing you look for. We stayed at Los Rocas last year which is just at the eastern end of West Bay. It was $750 a week for three people, which included breakfast. The dive shop at the resort was as good as any in West Bay/West End...you could also snorkel from the dive boat for $15 per person. I'm sure other dive shops will do the same sort of thing, which might be an idea for your wife. This year we're renting part of a house in West End with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms for $1700 for 2 1/2 weeks. There will be 4 of us going this time. We all got tired of restaurant food last year so wanted the option to cook some meals. There are plenty of land taxis on the island if you want to see some different scenery....there are also water taxis that run between West Bay and West End as well as "buses" that go from West End to Coxen Hole. It's not hard to get around without doing a lot of walking, you can even rent scooters. Enjoy yourself, it's a great island with some wonderful people.

thanks a bunch everyone. Yea, the boat snorkeling will be out (the entry ladders, etc would be difficult). thats why i was looking into the easy, sandy, beach entry. I will look further into the ones mentioned..

john

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2013 at 09:49 PM ----------

this trip will be more about laying out, either poolside or beach.. Only because she cant hike, or do alot of strenuous activities just yet. Long steps are out of the question, and i know there are good resorts mentioned, just trying to find the happy medium between the 'beach resort' and one with good dive ops..

there is little to no beach at coco view, correct?

it is a short sandy walkway once she is knee deep she can snorkel...there is a lot to see in the "Front Yard" there are little coral heads scattered about and lots of critters live there....you can check out their website for pics of how the resorts is laid out Roatan Resort & Diving | CoCo View Resort very easy in and out of the water....

My recommendation is Bananarama. No pool but the ocean is right there. They have mostly single story units (a few second floor) but have always had ground floor available. My wife has had knee replacement (and second one coming) and the place has not challenged her ability to move around.

Banarama is a little further from the same shore snorkeling than Infinity Bay but Bananarama costs less, too. And the dive center on site is top notch.

Carl

CocoView is well regarded as a diver destination, likely top marks on Roatan.

CCV is essentially handicapped accessible, hosting numerous members of the HSA~ there are handicapped access rooms. They set up ramps for those who can't make it up the three steps up to the main clubhouse. I would request rooms #16, #18, #17 for availability- in that order of preference. Likely 65 steps on wooden plank walkways to the sandy walkway shore entry. These rooms are 80 paces on hard flat sand to the dive op.

IMG_3585.jpg

The boats can be rigged with a crane device for wheelchair divers. Otherwise, gear can be handed up and they will easily haul any equipment-less diver aboard...

P1010257-1.jpg
P1010292-1.jpg
P1010271-1.jpg

The shore dive is a great snorkel and a well used zone for the annual octogenarian snorkelers who show up... some with walking sticks.

IMG_4487.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

What passes for a beach at CCV has less sand flies...

IMG_3106.jpg

Most people have been to only one place on Roatan. Beware glowing recommendations.

I often still travel all over the world diving, but as I get another year older and shakier- I yearn for the infrastructure of CocoView quite often.

I would not go to Infinity Bay. They have stairs everywhere, and impossible to get a floor room because they been over run with the wonderful all inclusive. Cocoview, is definately better. Don't waste the money on Infinity Bay, you will get a nice pool but there is a nice ocean 15 feet past that.

Cocoview for the reasons above, Barefoot cay because she will love it. Get a cottage with a kitchen and livingroom/ open lanai. Beautiful grounds, very private feel, best mattresses and pillows/linens, nice pool, lagoon for snorkling, great food/drinks, very nice beach area. Inground sprinkler system that sprays an organic insecticide, and gardeners who constantly rake the sand, no very few bugs. Top notch dive shop also. Highly recommend this place for couples that want more than dive, dive, eat, dive, eat, dive, dive, sleep repeat. You will score lots of points with the missus, she won't even miss you while you are diving.

Reactions: Doc
everyone thanks for the wonderful advice. Cocoview seems to be in the lead. I have the dvd of it, and my wife reallly thought it sounded great. I was really surprised, considering how little shes usually in the water. Considering her knee injury, a good book and hammock sound good to her.. I am taking a class at my local dive shop next week. I hear the instructor spends alot of time in Roatan. I will run all these good ideas by her, but im really leaning to cocoview. I was just scared she wouldnt care for it, because its not the 'beach resort' style were used to..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom