Need help with leg cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need pretty strong leg muscles to use Jet Fins.

If you only use a flutter kick that's true for sure. If you do a crappy bicycle kick it's even worse.

Most people who have real problems with leg cramps simply have poor finning technique - irrespective of what fins they're wearing.

1. Leg cramps are not exclusively caused by poor finning technique. Deconditioning, dehydration, diuretic use, salt-restricted diet and neuro-muscular disease are but a handful of the many, many causes of leg cramps in divers.

2. Vary your kicking technique (flutter, frog, dolphin, etc.), until you get your legs conditioned.

3. Gatorade works for my leg cramps.

Leg cramps were a real problem when I started diving. On an instructor's reccommendation I tried a pair of Force Fins. Problem solved. Also, I go to the pool at the Y two or three times a week and do 1000 yards either on my back, finning only, or with mask and snorkel, finning only. Haven't had a cramp in two years.

1. Leg cramps are not exclusively caused by poor finning technique. Deconditioning, dehydration, diuretic use, salt-restricted diet and neuro-muscular disease are but a handful of the many, many causes of leg cramps in divers
That's interesting. One of the swimmers (a triathlete) at a freestyle workshop I was at said she had terrible arm cramps during rock climbing, and that they finally resolved the cramps by adding more sodium to her salt-restricted diet.

Woohoo! Pringles for everyone! :rofl3: OK maybe not Pringles. :wink:

OBTW, I'm becoming a big fan of the Gatorade G2, all the Gatorade but with less sugars.

I cramped almost always. I take potassium pills (don't like Bananas) and hardly ever cramp now. I did have vicious ones in both calves yesterday--Probably due to 38 degree bottom temp. and diving wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom