Need Ideas for vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for friendly suggestions for a good scuba vacation area. I was certified in July, don't have any dives past that and have two weeks off at the end of this month. I'll be alone and I'm in the states.

Hoorah! and thanks.

Hi, I'm looking for friendly suggestions for a good scuba vacation area. I was certified in July, don't have any dives past that and have two weeks off at the end of this month. I'll be alone and I'm in the states.

Hoorah! and thanks.

Budget?

Location?

Personally, I'd do a liveaboard somewhere. Perfect for solo-travelling divers... you need to be really offputting to have no one to hang out with on a boat for a week!

:)

Liveaboard is a great idea and I would recommend Dry Tortugas through MV Spree. It would help if you were AOW certified because liveaboards often hit sites that are outside the 60 ft depth. If you would like more experience at your OW certification then I would recommend Florida Keys and particularly the Key Largo reefs. Those are very nice reefs in calm and steady waters. Buddying up is never a problem on those boats and the trip is generally a lot cheaper than going outside USA.

Key Largo offers great diving for a new diver, and I recommend that destination. There are a number of scuba concessions there. As one example ( and reasonably priced place, check out Amy Slate's Amoray Dive Resort. Also check out Ocean DIvers.
DivemasterDe3nnis

For your cert level I would agree with Sinbad and Dennis. Scuba Gear & Dive Equipment Key Largo | Underwater Photography Trips | Diving School & Classes Certification Key Largo Dive Center 305 451 5844 They are a 6 pack I've used many time as I don't like cattle boats. A maximum of 6 paying divers are allowed. The first one to book decides on dive location. You won't be able to do the Spigel Grove or similar dives without a AOW cert. They are at the first Marina at the north end of the Keys as there isn't any need to drive farther south. On Captain Slates boat which is at the same marina as the 6 pack, we had to gear up in shifts due to the number of divers. From Miami you're a hour drive away. You can also check out cruise ships leaving out of Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa stopping in various islands. You can get a interior cabin for $400-$800 for a week leaving from Florida. Everything is paid for on the cruise and then you can set up dives either thru the cruise line or directly with a local dive shop. We have done this many times in the past as the Port is just 15 minutes away from us and we are then able to hit multiple islands on one cruise. Figure around $100 for local dives and depending on the cruise line you might be able to get 3-5 days of diving along with the cruise for $1,000

Thanks for the great insights! Sounds like Key Largo is the place to go. I'll have to consider a liveaboard, sounds like it could be a real good time. What happens in Florida, stays in Florida...

Take a look at Scuba-Do. They put a guide in the water with you for no additional charge - and it's a nice boat for getting back on the boat after the dive. I really like the folks who run the operation.

The Caymans are nice, although they can be expensive. I had a nice trip with Little Cayman Beach Resort a couple of years back, and another with Dive Tech on Grand Cayman last month. I've also had a number of good trips on the Caribbean Explorer liveaboards. When you get a little practice and get your buoyancy under control, head for Mexico and visit the cenotes!

Key Largo was my first trip after OW cert. It was free of international travel stress and the diving was not half bad. I also took my 11 year old daughter there after her cert. I went with Rainbow Reef both times. First time was just ok with them. Second time they took great care of us. Either way, I would recommend letting the DMs on the boat know they are your first dives.

I'm not knocking the Keys, but the first real dive vacation I had was aboard the Blackbeard's liveaboard met some great people from another state that I still keep in contact with and go on trips with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom