Need info on Mozambique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tzeyap

Contributor
Reaction score
I am contemplating Inhambane for my next dive destination - November 2005.
Would appreciate information on the following :

1. Recomendations on dive centres.
2. Advice on accomodation and food
3. Travel tips
4. Dive sites
5. Package deals

I will be making my way to Jo'burg, South Africa and then I believe there are flights to Inhambane. Would it be best to confirm a package deal ex Jo'burg ? Do the flights take off from Jo'burg international or some other airports ?

Thanks in advance. I'll return the favour to anyone looking for info for diving in South East Asia. !

Hi

Went to Inhambane last Nov , planning to go again ASAP !!!

1. Tofo Scuba are a good operation to dive with .

2. Cassa Barry offer good cheap acommodation

3. Too many travel tips to offer - PM me your e - mail address and I will send you a word doc with plenty of tips .

4.Depends on how long you are going to stay , my favourites were Manta Reef , Office , Amazon , Giants Castle.

5. Dunno !!!!

For flights it is definitely better to book in advance .

Hope this helps :D

Safe Diving

Andrew

Hi!

I'm from South Africa and actually also planning to go to Mozambique end Nov. We'll be staying at Barra Lodge which is apparantly VERY nice about 30 minutes drive from Inhambane. If you are flying to Inhambane from Jo'burg you will definitely fly from JHB international airport (this is the ONLY airport).

My advice with regards to food in Mozi is to NOT BUY MEAT! There are plenty of fresh fruit fruit & veg markets in the area that supply mostly anything but steer well clear of the meat. Also do not drink any water from the taps in mozambique.

Make sure you take your Malaria medication...It's absolutely CRUCIAL. and loads of insect repellent!!

If you're planning to drive around by car make sure that you take bribe money as you will most likely be pulled off by traffic police and they tend to be very corrupt and will FIND something to fine you if you are driving around alone.Fines must be paid on the spot and can be quite ridiculous, so a bribe would be better.

I am not a certified diver yet, but busy with my OW course now, however I do know that the area you'll be visiting is renowed for excellent dive spots especially around Barra, Linga-Linga etc.

Accommodation varies from really cheap to quite expensive...at Barra we will be staying in accommodation for R70 per night (approx $10 per night) which is really cheap.

If there are any more questions...Id be glad to try and aswer..I've been to Mozam. before and absolutely LOVED it!!

Enjoy!

You can get charters to Inhambane from Lanseria Airport which is about 50min away from JHB. About $500 US? Not cheap.

There may be filghts out of JHB INT, but when I was there Mar 05, we went out of Lanseria. It was a tiny plane.

Hi

I went to Tofo a few years ago and was so impressed that we returned last month as part of our honeymoon trip. Hope the following info is useful.

I'd second the recommendation for Tofo Scuba, they're an excellent outfit. John and Nikki discovered a lot of the sites and they’re the most experienced dive school in the area. They’ve got new boats, decent rental kit and really fun, friendly and knowledgeable staff.

For accommodation, it really depends what standards you have. If you're backpacking then Fatima’s and Bamboozies are very cheap and will do the job (though I heard repeated stories about thefts and security problems at Fatimas). We stayed in Casa Barry which is very nice, located overlooking one end of the beach - they upgraded us to a seafront chalet and were really sweet to us all week - Casa Barry is more family orientated (mainly south africans who've driven up). They're also quite a few chalets/cottages that can be rented and there is a hotel (was called Marinhos but seems to be changing its neame to Tofo Mar) which has a prime location on the beachfront (though I’m not sure how good it is). Barra Lodge is in the next bay along from Tofo. I understand it’s more of a distinct resort whereas Tofo is a village. There’s a similar place south of Tofo at Guinjata Bay. You should be aware there isn't really any 'luxury' accommodation in the area. Flamingo Bay near(ish) to Barra looks very nice in the photos – luxury water bungalows on stilts. We spoke to a couple who said the rooms are lovely but they weren’t told that the main lodge had burnt down so they had to be bussed 5km to Barra for their meals!

As for food, Casa Barry has a good menu – lots of fresh fish and good fillet steaks, there’s a new ‘french’ restaurant in the village which isn’t bad, or Dino’s bar (which is where the ‘nightlife’ is as well). Of course, if you’re self catering you can pick up fresh fish for the barbecue every day from the fishermen.

As for the diving, you should be aware of what you won’t get in Tofo. There are no wrecks and it’s not a place to come if you want vast amounts of coral – Some (eg Amazon) are very nice but this isn’t the Red Sea. What you will get is plenty of big fish action. At Manta Reef it is pretty much guaranteed that you’ll see some mantas as they come into cleaning stations here. Make sure you listen to the dive schools advice on interacting with the mantas - Stay low and watch your buoyancy, keep as calm as possible and watch your breathing (The mantas don’t mind little bubbles but can get spooked by big exhalations). Most importantly, do not chase them and do not stray onto the cleaning station as this will guarantee they disappear (or don’t turn up in the first place!). On one dive at Manta Reef we spent 20 minutes with five huge mantas circling just centimetres above our heads which was an absolutely mind-blowing experience. Conversely, 2 days later when we arrived at the same cleaning station, another dive group was swimming all over the station trying to video them. Two mantas took one look and shot off into the blue, seriously annoying everyone else in the water at the time.

The other reason the area is famous is the number of Whalesharks that pass through. I think the main season is November to March but they get them year round so you’ve got a good chance of snorkelling with one – we got to snorkel with a whale shark on two occasions on this last trip which was fantastic. When we were there we saw loads of humpback whales from the boat. Though we weren’t lucky enough to see one on a dive we did enjoy a number of dives with a whale chorus accompaniment. As Andy T mentioned the top site in the area are Manta Reef, Office, Amazon and Giant’s Castle – these all tend to be the morning dives, and all can be fantastic. Pick and choose your afternoon dives as some are better than others.. Mike’s Cupboard is a not very interesting OW training dive. Best, are those that go down towards Manta Reef as this is the area you’re most likely to see Whale Sharks. – Simonstown is a pretty site, and I really enjoyed Chamber of Secrets which had loads of interesting stuff and nice topography – oh, and the 50+ Devil rays weren’t bad either!

From a diving point of view I’d also recommend staying at Tofo because of it’s location. At Barra you’re a long way from southern sites such as Manta Reef, whilst at Guinjata you’re a long way from Office and Amazon.

We flew into Inhambane from Lanseria airport (in Jo’burg). (You can’t fly from Jo’burg International). Lanseria is a small airport from where a number of charter companies operate out of. It’s easily accessible from the centre of Jo’burg. However, you should be aware that Charlan Air (who flew the route) went out of business whilst we were in Tofo. Fortunately another charter company ran two last planes to get us back. Apparently the Inhambane route was profitable and other companies want to take it over, but there seems to be ongoing discussions between Mozambique and South Africa about rights to use the route. You should ask Tofo Scuba what the current situation is. On the way back we had to fly down to Maputo to go through immigration control before heading onto Lanseria. The flight was about £220 return.

It is a long drive up from Jo’burg but do-able. (From memory it’s about 16 hours from Jo’burg.) The Mozambique police do have a reputation for pulling cars over, particularly cars with South African plates. This is normally for speeding (radar guns seem to be standard issue to every policeman) so be aware of the speed limits (their definition of built up areas is not what yours or mine is). Personally, I would not recommend getting into a bribe situation unless you really know what you’re doing and have fluent Portuguese to talk yourself out of any problems. You can get yourself into far worse trouble going down the ‘bribe’ route. If you are fined always ask for a receipt – if they’re legit they will give you one. Considering what a bargain Mozambique is I’d just incorporate a couple of ‘potential’ fines into your planned budget. If you’re not stopped you have some beer money to celebrate with back home, if you are, you have a ‘police run in’ story you can elaborate to impress your friends back home.

The advice about anti-malarials shouldn’t be ignored. There’s a lot of talk about the side effects of these drugs but full-blown malaria is much nastier. You need either Larium, Doxycycline or Malarone. Malarone is the best with very few side effects but its very expensive. The first time I went to Mozambique I took Dox and sunburnt really badly, but my wife had no problems at all. This time I took Larium. I’ve taken this before with no problems (other than very vivid, bizarre dreams). There’s load of advice on anti-malarials on this forum but if you do go for Larium I’d take them for a couple of weeks before you leave so you can see if you do have any of the nastier reactions. Whatever you do, do take some form of anti-malarials.

As for package deals, I booked the flight through Tofo Scuba and accommodation through Casa Barry over email. No problems at all. Moz Connection do organise group trips up from SA if you want to go that way but I don’t think you need to.

Mozambique is a fantastic country and the diving is top notch. You will love it

Andrew

Heh, I echo that bit about the cops. We got nailed twice in the space on 30 min - once for passing through what was supposedly a solid lane (the cop set us up - pulled out in front of us and drove at 30kph in an unmarked car, in an area where the white line could hardly be seen), and second time for doing 100 in a 60 (again, the board was well off the road and hardly visible).

On the way back, the first cop tried exactly the same stunt with us. We stuck behind him, smiled at him when he looked at us in the rearview mirror and waved as we drove by later.

This stuff is once you cross Xai-Xai, coming from Maputo. The roads become really crap at that point as well, so drive carefully.

I dove with Diversity Scuba - the Tofo guys were nice, polite and professional, but I "clicked" a little better with the Diversity folks, who seemed a little more personalized. Either would be a fine choice, though.

Otherwise, it was a very enjoyable dive destination - saw my first whale shark after 14 years, so I was thrilled. That being said, I prefer a little more variety in fishlife and coral, and I can see myself getting a little bored if I were to dive here for more than a week in a row.

Casa Barrys, like everything else in Tofo, was pricey - R450 for pretty basic chalets wasnt really stunning value, and R370 or whatever for 1 dive was majorly ouchie. It gets cheaper the more you dive, and substantially cheaper if you have your own kit, so that's worth remembering.

Vandit

Hi guys !!!

I blame all you guys especially TofoMermaid !!! Now I am $6000 (for 2 pax ) poorer becos of you guys !

I am doing it !!!! Yippee !!! Booked with Sharkalley for 7 nights at Guinjata and will be getting ready to go to the airport this time next week. We will be spending 3 nights in Jo'burg after Inhambane. I will not be driving as we are short of time and want to maximise no. of dives while we are there and so we have booked a fly-in package.

This is a BIG trip for us as we are flying in all the way from Malaysia. Any more tips and advice which will make this good will be much appreciated. There isn't a Moz Embassy here, but I was told we can apply for visas on arrival. Info on how to pre-empt any hassles ?

Also looking forward to visit Jo'burg. My last trip to Jo'burg was 8years ago. Are the Jacarandas still in bloom ? Can't remember which month it was when I was there.

Thanks again to all you guys for your help and some of you have really taken trouble to write detailed emails and provided links for info.

Who is in Jo'burg ? wondering whether some of us might be able to meet up for a drink during my stopover in Jo'burg and we can exchange fish stories !!!

Hi Tzeyap
That blame I shall take with a big smile :)
Just wait when you get back. I am sure I shall get a big thank you mail from you!!!!!
pls let me know how it was??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom