Need information on Blackbeard's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaotter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
:scubadive I am considering taking a cruise with Blackbeard's but, my husband is 6'2 and I don't know if he will have enough room in the bunks. Can anyone help me? This would be our first liveaborad so I would want it to be a good experience.

Well the bunks aren't spacious by any means, but you should fit. Do realize the BlackBeards is "rustic" ... but you can certainly have a good experience. However if you are honestly a "pamper me" kind of person you'd be bettter off looking elsewhere. I've been 3 times and my wife came once. We've always had a good time.

For tall folks, we just twist our bodies at oblique angles on the bunks or hang our feet. To be honest, there's so much diving and running around on these charters that sleeping is only viewed as an irritating necessity. I barely remember sleeping at all, 'cept when I passed out one night from too much rum. I missed the morning drift dive!

During the day most people take snoozes on deck, as the boat is motoring between sites. You also have the option of napping on deck at night, which is pretty neat.

Lots of tall people go on Blackbeard's cruises. The bunks aren't designed for midgets, but are reasonable nautical models. Our research ship uses something similar-sized.

Thanks for the quick responses! We like the idea of "rustic" conditions especially if it means 4-5 dives a day. We got spolied with multiple dives while we were in Bonaire.

Just so your not dissapointed....

BB's typically runs 18 dives in a week. Depart Saturday, return on Friday. Dive days are Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, and Thr. Typically there are 3 dives during the day, and on select nights a night dive. Other nights are either port nights or travel back to Miami.

We had a cruise with Blackbeard in January and it was a wonderful experience. For sure, you won't have lot of spaces in the room, but you will never be in except for sleeping... Me and my husband are not tall, (5'3'' and 5'6'') but it doesn't seem to be a problem for the other ones... the deck is really popular to get sun between the dives and we also took all our meals on the deck since there is not much room in the main cabin.
With Blackbeard you will really relax, the only thing you have to think to do is to remove your regulator from the bottle and the end of the dive so they can fill the bottle. You don't have to think about what to eat (you always have consistent and complete meals) where to go (you have a good captain who is looking for the best place to go with the weather conditions) or what to do (the only choices is diving or getting sun on the deck) and after 3 or 4 dives (or lots of rum) usually sleeping comes easily

scubaotter:
We like the idea of "rustic" conditions especially if it means 4-5 dives a day. We got spolied with multiple dives while we were in Bonaire.

the one trip i was on with them we had 18 dives, 3 were night dives. we had a VERY good time and will go back again. for the money, IMHO you wont find a better way to go and get that many dives in. if someone knows of another liveaboard for around that same money please let us know.

thanks,
steve

Well a lot of people are singing the praises of Blackbeard so let me knock them down a notch. First let me say that I will probably go on another Blackbeard Cruise but not with my wife. We were on a 9 day cruise in Bimini. I think there were 28 people on this 65' sailboat. So needless to say it was a little cramped while on the boat. The air conditioning did not work in our room which wasn't too bad late at night but this trip was in August and the early evening it was still very warm.

My wife enjoyed the trip but doesn't want to go back. She felt like it was tent camping on the water. We do a lot of hiking and camping and she enjoys that but 9 days with 28 people was starting to get on all of us. My wife prefers to spend a little extra and go on one of the larger boats that has a little more privacy like SeaFever or the GulfStream Eagle.

The most dissapointing part of the trip was towards the end. Most of the crew were smokers and they ran out of cigarettes about two days from the end of the trip. Wow were they cranky!!!!

Overall the diving was great and the food was good so maybe I didn't knock them down too much. For the price you can't beat them. I'm trying to get a group of my buddies together to do a guy's trip sometime late summer.

GoBlowBubbles,

A 9 day trip might have been part of the problem. Our group last year (14 of us) had a great time on the 7 day trip, it was just long enough to get lots of diving in. But the last day or two lots of people were dragging to get ready for the dives.

I think I'd recommend a little shorter trip, just seems like about the right length to me.

We're going back again in May, this time with 18 people.

Back
Top Bottom