need LDS in San Diego that rents something bigger than Alum 80's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasean

Contributor
Reaction score
My son and I are going to be visiting SD around the end of December and will be diving the yukon and Ruby E.

We want to have a bit more air than an Alum 80 and was hoping that someone could let us know of an LDS in San Diego that rents 100's or larger.

Any takers?

Many thanks!

Sean-

Check out Aqua Tech Dive Center, they claim to rent HP 3500 psi DIN tanks 65/80/100/120 (Aluminum 80's optional) @ $8 for the first day, $4 for the second day, and $3 thereafter. So you might have to look for a DIN adapter (they rent them also, I believe), or rent a DIN-style reg. I've rented from them before, and they were most helpful and friendly.

Blue Escape's store had HP120's about 18 months ago, I guess they still have them. Nitrox fills too.

Either the Blue Escape or Lois Ann would be my preferred charter boat if you're undecided on that aspect.

I appreciate the info....

SB and you folks rock!

Can't wait for the trip...And, was dreading taking my own tanks...the car will be packed as it is....

Cheers!

(I had previously checked with the Lois Ann for a wreck dive that week and they told me they recently lost a captain[quit, I suppose] and they wouldn't be able to do the dive I had scheduled with them....)

scubasean once bubbled...
I had previously checked with the Lois Ann for a wreck dive that week and they told me they recently lost a captain[quit, I suppose]...)
Woody's gone? If that's the case, that's too bad. He was great to go out with!

Woody is not gone! John left a while back (taking off for lobster season) but Woody is still running the show.

If I you want to dive the Yukon and the Ruby, I would go with the Lois Ann. They will rent you 100s, fill them with Nitrox if you want, and they can even rent all the gear if you need it.

Having said all that, they are not running any charters between 12/22 and 01/01 (even Woody needs a little time for vacation and the holidays now and then). So if you are coming during that week you may have to try the Blue Escape or Gotta Dive. But you may have to rent tanks from somewhere else.

IMHO those two are not quite as nice as the Lois Ann. (Disclaimer: I like the LA so much that I bought a season pass on it, so I am on there all the time).

Heck, you may not even need larger tanks. I have done those wrecks plenty of times with only 80cf, when I have been too lazy to lug my 100 down to the dock. You'll probably be more limited by NDL than air consumption anyways.

--Dan

scubasean,
I'm taking my kids on those dives at the end of the year also.
The wife has to work so it's me and the kids.
We'll be down there from 12/27thru1/4.
We charted the HydroDiver for some of our dives and they said on their web page that if we needed any rental items they could have them delivered to the boat for us.
Maybe an arangement like that could be possible for you as well that way you don't have to do any hauling.
Just a thought.
mech

...if you're not planning on deco stuff, then (as previously mentioned), you'll likely be limited more by NDL than by air in your tank.

BTW, the Blue Escape has LP steel 80s (2400's) in addition to AL 80s. They always max fill the LP 80s.

So...

If you're doing rec stuff, and don't have horrible air consumption rates, you'd probably do great with their on-board tanks (which are included in the price).

Just a thought....

h2omammal once bubbled...
...if you're not planning on deco stuff, then (as previously mentioned), you'll likely be limited more by NDL than by air in your tank.

BTW, the Blue Escape has LP steel 80s (2400's) in addition to AL 80s. They always max fill the LP 80s.

So...

If you're doing rec stuff, and don't have horrible air consumption rates, you'd probably do great with their on-board tanks (which are included in the price).

Just a thought....

I agree, for the most part...18 min at 95 feet is about it...

But, I think someone told me that the wreck is between 65 and 100 ft, so that leaves me dive time (assuming air...) beyond the 18 min, assuming I dive a bit shallower than the bottom....

I'm just trying to expand my options, and greatly appreciate everyone's help!

:cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom