need narrower heel on footpocket of "long" freediving fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yaml

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
question: buying my first "real" freediving fins; need to know if there are any of these fins that have a slightly narrower heel in the footpocket: first pair of mares razor pro arrived today; (interchangeable blades so they should be easier to travel with); put them on barefoot and heel slips up; put on 2mm sock and they still feel like they will slip up (i have a narrow heel and have had similar problems with foreign made shoes); i am fairly sure i have the correct size (doug at austin's in miami very helpful); (i have never used fin keepers and don't know if they would solve the problem; however, i feel the fins should actually fit "correctly" before trying to find ways to "make" them fit); i can return them but then don't really know which manufacturer to consider;
so to save time and frustration, i thought i'd ask and see if anyone else had had the same issue and ask which fins they ended up choosing; prefer interchangeable blades for ease of travel, etc. should i look for an "american made" fin? is there one? is their footpocket shaped differently? mako sells fins with interchangeable blades but don't really know where their fins come from.

appreciate any help (p.s. had hoped to only spend up to ~$200 but more importantly need to find the right fins); thanks

One thing that might help is buy fin keepers. Austin's sells them. Austin's Diving Center: Fin Keepers, Accessories They do a great job of keeping the fin securely on the foot.

I suggest them to most of my female students because many of the smallest size men freediving fins are too big for women. This is changing though slowly!

Try those out and see if it helps. Tell Doug or Dennis I mentioned these for you, they are great guys.

thanks ted - like i said in my post, i have considered fin keepers but having never actually even seen a pair, so i really didn't know how much they might actually help prevent heel slippage; i will probably end up trying them although i still think the main objective would be to find a pair of fins whose heel didnt slip and then maybe een use the keepers for added extra grip; thanks for the reply - i will talk to doug today and see what he says;

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom