Need some Can HID advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie:
Halcyon does not make a "21W" light...

Barry uses the same Brightstar bulb for his 18, 21 and 24W lights - the difference is in the ballast.

Vie, I think I recall seeing an old post of yours over on TDS about you and your friends picking up some Salvo 18W's (or was it the 24W's?). How are they holding up? Happy customer?

pakman:
Vie, I think I recall seeing an old post of yours over on DCS about you and your friends picking up some Salvo 18W's (or was it the 24W's?). How are they holding up? Happy customer?

We finally went with 9A NiMH 18W (focusable) after weighting the pros and cons of canister size vs. burn time, etc. - they are arriving tomorrow. We will be rewiring the NiMH batteries so that we can "split" the pack and charge them independently. Will let you know how they work out. If I ever take up serious cave diving and the battery design don't change/improve much, I would probably go with SLA.

Now here's another question for you all. Should I bite the bullet and get the 9amp can/battery for the additional $$? And if I did, should I just go ahead and bump up to a 24W one considering it would still get approx 210min with the 9amp battery... While this might be overkill for the diving I do today, might make sense if I move into video in the future...

edit: oh didn't see the above before I hit post... oh well, was hoping you already had them and had a chance to use them UW.

pakman:
Now here's another question for you all. Should I bite the bullet and get the 9amp can/battery for the additional $$? And if I did, should I just go ahead and bump up to a 24W one considering it would still get approx 210min with the 9amp battery... While this might be overkill for the diving I do today, might make sense if I move into video in the future...

edit: oh didn't see the above before I hit post... oh well, was hoping you already had them and had a chance to use them UW.

I think I saw something like this on the Dive Rite website:

18w HID = 7000 kelvin
21w HID = 6500 kelvin
24w HID = 6000 kelvin

Why is it so? It's just the opposite of what I would expect, but I'm not very familiar with the use of HID. I won a handheld 10w HID in a slogan contest, sold it and got a cannister halogen instead.

double80s:
I agree with Bob, 100%. I don't just say this because I'm a Salvo dealer, I say this because most of my dive buddies have Salvo 18w. 18w and 10w are the biggest sellers. I have been using my well abused Sartek 10w without any complaints, but now that the light head is flooding I will be due for my own upgrade :D

i too am looking to buy a hid light ive been doing my homework for some time now. and top of my list is the salvo lights. im just confused on whether i should get the 10w or 18w. also doesnt BM manufacture for sea elite a 10w hid but is not focusable?

since these lights are hella expensive i wanna do it right. also i know that most of the people who have the 10w upgrade to the 18w. whay though? just for the brightness? i would think that the 10w should be good enough

KOMPRESSOR:
I think I saw something like this on the Dive Rite website:

18w HID = 7000 kelvin
21w HID = 6500 kelvin
24w HID = 6000 kelvin

Why is it so? It's just the opposite of what I would expect, but I'm not very familiar with the use of HID. I won a handheld 10w HID in a slogan contest, sold it and got a cannister halogen instead.

yes i ouwld think that the higher wattage bulbs would have a higher kelvin range.

pakman:

get the light and bring it to anilao, never seen a hid in action

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom