Need suggestions for vacation in June.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ebbdiver

Registered
Reaction score
We had originally planned a trip to the Caymans, but after finding out about thimble jellies (peaks in June), the wife says no go! Looking for suggestions on alternatives for a dive vacation. We'll be doing a referral for our beginning ow cert, so needs to have beginner status. Thanks.:confused:

Catalina Island, CA might be a good, close trip. The Bahamas has good diving f/ a beginner. Coz might not be a bad choice. Lots to see but you might not care for the drift. That is my short, short list.

Monterey is even closer than Catalina. I agree with the Bahamas, Big island of Hawaii is good too.

If you want to stay in the states, the Florida Keys would be my suggestion. If you want to travel, Bonaire would be my first choice, the Bahammas are also nice.

Where did you get your information that the thimbles peak in june? My understanding was that they had the potential to be around all summer, but that they peaked in april and may. Also, if you are interested in the Caribbean, anywhere you go could have them at that time including the Florida Keys, Coz, and Bahamas. I was very worried about them too, but I just got back from Roatan 2 weeks ago, and I only saw them on one dive, had no stings, and had no signs of SBE from their larvae. Its one of those things that people talk about as a "watch out for this", but its really not a big deal, and at least to me would not be worth skipping the great diving in the Caymans on the off chance you might get a sting or two.

Aggiediver

I agree with Aggie diver, there have been many Aprils in Cayman when the thimbles peak that we've been diving and we both wear 3mm body suits, we have never been stung. The DM's will move to a different dive site if they notice that they are bad, also, I've dove near them , but just keep your distance they are usually near the surface, don't let some thimble jellies ruin it for you.
Last year we did dive in June in Turks & Caicos and we didn't see any. If you are going to change no matter what , this may be an alternative.

DIving is fun.
Caymaniac:)

Hi all,
Yes, I feel it would be worth the risk, but this is our 25th anniversary, and the wife doesn't want to risk anything that would put a damper on the mood. We decided to reschedule the Caymans trip to possibly November. Would Nov be a better time to go there? Thanks.

Either the US or the British Virgins are an excellent choice for beginner divers.

And as far as a great anniversary destination, we fell in love with St. John - it's fantastic.

Returned last nite from 10 day cayman dive trip. Yes, the thimble jellies are out there in hordes But it is the larva from the thimbles that is the culprit of the nasty stings. Having said that, please be advised that I did not get one single sting. I attribute this good fortune to my wearing a hood, full wetsuit & booties. The only bare exposure was my hands. I guess fingers don't taste good to jelly larva.
Everyone who wore full suits & hoods was fine. The rest of the divers who did not wear hoods (or who wore shorties) were stung every day.
I believe the real issue is skin exposure and not the month of the year. Sea lice, sea itch, and other nasty critters have appeared during months when no one expected them. Stay covered up and you will be fine.
have a great time.

Thanks for all the great info and dive report everybody! Decided to go to a local B&B for the anniversary and rescheduled the Little Cayman trip to the first part of August. It's going to be difficult to wait, but made the wife happy. Gotta keep the wife happy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom