Needing help connecting hose to XT2 2nd stage.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roydude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Quick question: does anyone have a simple diagram of how a hose connects to an XT2 2nd stage?

Seems like a silly question, but my problem is this: I've attached many hoses to 2nd stages over the years, but they all involved an o-ring between the hose screw and the reg attachment. On the XT2 though, the hose screws against another nut (no o-ring) which just sits tight against a plastic cylinder (again, no o-ring) which presses into a circular groove on the side of the regulator (where there are, finally, 2 o-rings), like this:

It seems like there should be an o-ring somewhere else there to me. When I tested it in the pool it worked beautifully for about 30 mins, then I tested the swivel and it leaked like crazy from the hose connection (so badly that I couldn't actually tell which particular gap was the problem!). I couldn't get it to stop leaking even messing around tightening it with spanners. So I'm of the opinion that it's not the right way to attach the hose, but I can't find any docs online that suggest any other way.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

This might help.
Untitled.png2.png
There should only be one o-ring visible after the jam nut/space/heat exchanger so the reg end looks good. Have you checked the captured o-ring inside the end of the 2nd stage (LP) hose? It is covered by the fitting at the end of the hose.Have you also checked the visible o-ring for nicks and debris? Also, be careful in tightening the jam nut. You might twist the air barrel a little, or worse crack the housing. Get some help if you are not sure of what you are doing.

P.S. Ignore the torque specs. It is wrong.

Last edited:
What Pao said. The only o-ring you would see if changing a hose is the one that is on the inner, male part of the female hose end. It is around the inner, male part, is size 010 if i remember correctly. I'm not clear on what you were tightening with spanners in the pool, but I hope it was not the barrel that goes into the 2nd stage, because there is an adjustment and seat in there you don't want to overly tighten. The fact that it was working, and then started leaking, sounds like the little o-ring in the end of the hose failed. If it is still there, see if it is damaged. If it is not there, that is your problem.

Thanks for your help guys, it's reassuring to know I'm not missing an o-ring or something! I suspect I hadn't tightened the jam nut enough so when I tested swivelling it loosened the hose. The o-rings all look good, so I think next time I'm near the LDS I'll pop in and double check with them I'm dong the right thing).

Beautiful reg for that first 30 mins though, can't wait to put it through it's paces out in the wild!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I don't see how a loose jam nut would affect the hose fitting. The jam nut is for the barrel into the reg, not the hose from the reg. Best when you talk to the techs in the shop that you tell them the problem you saw, not what you think the solution is. Key info is it worked for 30 minutes, then you started fussing with the swivel. So a question is whether you were really turning the swivel (part of the hose, not the reg), or turning the jam nut and barrel (part of the reg, not the hose).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom