Nektn Cay Sal Bank vs Aggressor to Cocos Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris66

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay I know that I am asking the impossible as they are such different trips but I am trying to decide on a liveaboard vacation. The two options are the Nekton Cay Sal Banks vs the Agressor Fleet Cocos Island. The draw of the Island is the large number of hammerheads, white tips, rays, mantas etc. The down side is that it is a lot more pricey, a company I have not dived with and a lot further to get to - flying from the NE. The Cay Sal banks offers diversity, the promise of diving with sharks, a company that I know and trust and a lot cheaper and closer and leaves from a US port.

I have done the Nekton Belize and loved it. I really do want to dive with sharks only because I believe - like most divers - that they are a beautiful misunderstood bunch that need to be protected and I would love the opportunity to dive with them.

Anybody that can help give me clarity of thought - much appreciated

Chris

Chris66:
Okay I know that I am asking the impossible as they are such different trips but I am trying to decide on a liveaboard vacation. The two options are the Nekton Cay Sal Banks vs the Agressor Fleet Cocos Island. The draw of the Island is the large number of hammerheads, white tips, rays, mantas etc. The down side is that it is a lot more pricey, a company I have not dived with and a lot further to get to - flying from the NE. The Cay Sal banks offers diversity, the promise of diving with sharks, a company that I know and trust and a lot cheaper and closer and leaves from a US port.

I have done the Nekton Belize and loved it. I really do want to dive with sharks only because I believe - like most divers - that they are a beautiful misunderstood bunch that need to be protected and I would love the opportunity to dive with them.

Anybody that can help give me clarity of thought - much appreciated

Chris
I have done the Cay Sal Nekton trip and it was fantastic but you really are comparing apples to oranges. The dives at Cay Sal are warm water and the boat docks right there and you dive in off the dive deck. Easy easy easy diving in the sunny warm Caribbean, on a stable boat, diving with some caribbean reef sharks.

Cocos is a long way out in rocky seas, colder water, weather is cloudy and humid, and you do all dives off a tiny panga boat as a group. Dive conditions are intermediate - advanced depending on currents and downdrafts, its open water vs reef diving, and water full of all kinds of sharks. Much more pricey and much more intense diving experience. Not for the faint of heart! BUT chance of seeing hammerheads and many other types of sharks is about 99%.

It all depends on your dive skills and your $$$. If you are up to it, do Cocos for shark experiences. If you aren't comfortable in deep water without a reef and would hate bouncing around on the ocean fro a day out and back, waiting in rough seas for a panga to pick you up after your dive, and doing dives where you are surrounded by sharks... this isn't the trip for you. Friends did this trip and loved it but did say it rained every day and many people were seasick on the trip out and back.

Just 2 cents.
robint

Robint, Thanks for putting it so clearly. I did not realise their were such vast differences in the physical conditions. I think for now I will stick with what I know - Its the Nekton for me

Thanks all

Chris

depends on your comfort level in the water. however, for me this would be a no-brainer - Galapagos or Cocos. with the poaching that's going on you better hurry if you still want to experience the thrill of diving with hundreds of hammerheads.

We loved Cocos and are going back next April, this time Mapelo/Cocos. We went with Undersea Hunter but did tour the Aggressor boat it seems nice enough. We have dove with Aggressor in Hawaii, Belize and Fiji and have always enjoyed our time with them.

If you like sharks than Cocos is a must do destination. We have a trip report, gallery and slide show of our trip at our site.

Ditto mjh. We dove Cocos in May on the Undersea Hunter and are returning in November for a shark-tagging expedition and again next June. It is definitely an addiction once you experience it.

I'd take Cocos over Cay Sal Bank any day if I could have convinced my dive buddy to go, but because I couldn't, we booked Cay Sal Bank/ Nekton for October instead. Oh Well! The money and conditions of the type of diving seemed to be the issue. To be able to dive in the Cocos, conditions and water temp wouldn't have bothered me, but I'm a shark fanatic so it's easy to see my reasoning. I'll have to settle for the Caribbean Reef sharks (again)!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom