Nekton - Cal Sal Bank (anyone been?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I worked on the Pilotfor eight years and did Cay sal over 200 times. I still love that itinerary and hope to go out there in September.

In a nutshell:

SUNDAY: Check in to customs at Cat Cay. Dive along Tuna Alley and Victory Reef. Usually 80-90 feet of viz and a noticeable current. I've seen hammerheads, Caribbean reef sharks, and the only sailfish I ever saw diving. Also a great spot for Sargassum triggerfish and yellow tail damselfish.

MONDAY: Orange Cay (midway between Bimini and Cay Sal). Morning, Last Chance Reef. Most of the reef is 50-60 feet deep, lots of invertebrate life, viz is usually 70-80 feet. Beware of aggressive remoras! Afternoon/Night: Playground. Very shallow (20 feet). Viz and current are tidal, so there can be a broad range from no current to very strong. Viz can be 20 feet or 100 feet. Lots of lobster, lots of tropicals. The area is surrounded by sand so the reef is a magnet for fish. The night dive should not be missed. Usually lots of loggerhead turtles sleeping on the reef.

Tuesday: Morning= Big Hole (the biggest blue hole on the itinerary. Lots of sharks. The hole starts in approximately 25 feet of water. This one is too big to circumnavigate. There is an interesting archway down at 120' (follow the ski-slope looking formation down to 120').Afternoon dive: Sistine chapel. My favorite. Small blue hole. Starts in 20' of water, goes down to 415' (don't ask me how I know this). Small enough to circumnavigate a couple of times on one tank. Great overhang (where the site gets its name) at about 60'. Stalagtites down at 130'. Night dive here should not be missed.

Wednesday; Shark dive at Big hole. Lots of sharks & other craziness. Usually about a dozen Caribbean reef sharks, but we have had bulls and hammers come in to feast. Afternoon; Silversides: Very similar to Sistine Chapel (see above). Night dive is very good.

General info about all the blue holes: viz averages about 50'.

Thursday: Drift Dives at Elbow Reef. AWESOME. A deep wall, starting at 85'. Viz is usually about 150'. Current is usually about 2 knots. I've seen lots of goliath grouper on this wall as well as a couple of whale sharks. Lots of big green morays and HUGE lobster. Two drifts on this deep site and your computer is starting to hate you. Afternoon: Water Cay: More for snorkeling and relaxing. Interesting rock formations, swim throughs, some caves that go under the island. A nice beach on the other side. We used to do cliff jumping there, but not sure if it is still allowed (liability issues). No night dive.

Friday: Bimini-Either Thumbnail ( 80' deep reef that can have lots of current) or Hawksbill Reef (shallower-45') in the morning. Both are nice sites, current varies, but viz is usually 60-70 feet (better when the current is kicking on Thumbnail). Afternoon- The Strip. Tons of life on a very small strip of coral. Lots of morays and scorpionfish. Usually current is mild, and vis is about 70 feet. Night dive is awesome. Friday afternoon is also an opportunity for shore excursions in to Bimini.

Hope this helps. PM me with specific questions.

Last edited:
Jon, thank you so much, and thanks to everyone else too. I've been lurking on this thread because I'm booked on the Pilot for Cay Sal Bank in August. I've wanted to dive there for 30 years and now my dream comes true! I'm going all by my lonesome, but I'll bet that won't be a problem.

Cay Sal is good diving for good divers. August is the start of hurricane time, and Cay Sal is very isolated with nowhere to run if there's a storm, especially if you're Neckton and can't run very fast. There's a chance that they will cancel the itinerary if there's even a chance of a storm developing in the Eastern Atlantic, but the fallback would probably be spending much more time in the waters south of Cat Cay (like Orange, etc.) which IMO are the most under-discovered and nicest dive spots in the Bahamas.

Cay Sal is good diving for good divers. August is the start of hurricane time, and Cay Sal is very isolated with nowhere to run if there's a storm, especially if you're Neckton and can't run very fast. There's a chance that they will cancel the itinerary if there's even a chance of a storm developing in the Eastern Atlantic, but the fallback would probably be spending much more time in the waters south of Cat Cay (like Orange, etc.) which IMO are the most under-discovered and nicest dive spots in the Bahamas.

that is the area they now call "Medio Reef" and yes, great diving there!

that is the area they now call "Medio Reef" and yes, great diving there!

Medio Reef is actually south of Orange Cay (Last Chance Reef and Playground dive sites) and east-northeast of the Cay Sal Bank. It is not usually visited on the Cay sal itinerary, but it is great diving. It is far enough south (almost as far south as Cay Sal) that it would not be a good place to hide from storms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom