NEKTON ~ Central BELIZE ~ 03/12 - 03/19/2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcm007

Reaction score
Hello Reader ! I havea small group going on the Nekton Cruise to the Central Belize Area 03/12 - 03/19/2005.

I was hoping to meet some people beforehand , if anyone is planning that trip..

See you there !

Michael :dazzler1:

:11:
mcm007:
Hello Reader ! I havea small group going on the Nekton Cruise to the Central Belize Area 03/12 - 03/19/2005.

See you there !

My wife and I will be on the Nekton 2 weeks before you. We'll try to take good care of things. :wink:

mcm007:

See you there !

A group of us will be on board the week after you: March 19-26th.

I have never been on a live aboard but I'm really looking forward to that trip.

Does anyone know what is Nekton policy concerning depth? Are they really strict on the 130ft limit, no deco and do they check?

O.P.:
A group of us will be on board the week after you: March 19-26th.

I have never been on a live aboard but I'm really looking forward to that trip.

Does anyone know what is Nekton policy concerning depth? Are they really strict on the 130ft limit, no deco and do they check?
My wife and I were on the Nekton Rorqual last June and we both really enjoyed ourselves

They request that you stay about 130 feet and dive no deco.

O.P.:
I have never been on a live aboard but I'm really looking forward to that trip. Does anyone know what is Nekton policy concerning depth? Are they really strict on the 130ft limit, no deco and do they check?

1) Liveaboards allow for pretty heavy Nitrogen loading to start with.

2) There is nothing to see in Belize at 130fsw, much less past 65' All the cool stuff is shallow and most is macro.

3) You log on a board your max depth and BT as you exit the dive deck.

Nekton rocks! (it does not roll, however)

Doc.

Now we're getting somewhere. Thats why I love SB.. We will be in the Central Belize itinerary. I think we may miss the other gentleman.. thanks for the feedback all. I have been doing alot of research , and although I have done several cruises, I havent done the Liveaboards .. I am looking very forward to it!

RoatanMan:
1) Liveaboards allow for pretty heavy Nitrogen loading to start with.

2) There is nothing to see in Belize at 130fsw, much less past 65' All the cool stuff is shallow and most is macro.

3) You log on a board your max depth and BT as you exit the dive deck.

Nekton rocks! (it does not roll, however)

Doc.

Thanks Doc.
I do not want to pass 130ft if there is nothing to do see down there. And you are right we are going to max out our Nitrogen load with 5 dives a day.

As far as this is concerned, are most people diving with backup computers just in case ones primary fails during a dive?

You mentioned macro life, could you be more specific? What can we expect to see down there. I love pelagic (ray, sharks,etc..), of cource everything is facinating but I have a bias for big stuff.

Thanks,
Op

O.P.:
You mentioned macro life, could you be more specific? What can we expect to see down there. I love pelagic (ray, sharks,etc..), of cource everything is facinating but I have a bias for big stuff.

I just dive with one reliable computer. Not very hi-tech, but it has worked for me.

As far as the bias for large stuff, this is much a function of what you are used to, what is easy to spot. Once you learn how- the small stuff is easy to find.

My best advice? After buying a copy of Paul Humanns "Reef Fish ID" books, buy a magnifying glass, pick out a 3x3' section of reef, and catalog everything you find.

An alternate trick? Pick up every tiny shell the size of a nickel or so. (The abandoned ones are the obvious targets- I suggest the empty urchin 'flying saucers') In training your eye to scan for the muiniscule, you'll learn to find the little stuff.

Remember also- it's not so much learning to find the little stuff- it is to find the micro-niche environments that they thrive in. (IE: Find a Corkscrew Anemone -easy- then look inside for the Perdersen Cleaning Shrimp... then look at the base of the Anemone... what's that little critter?)

Sharpen your eye- pay attention to the naturalist lectures- follow the DM whenever you can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom