Nekton Gear Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We have a Nekton cruise to Belize booked for later this year. We're definitely going to take our own gear, including our dive computers, but I wondered if we should consider buying a backup guage just in case. We're planning to have our gear serviced prior to the trip (annual service), but we all know that's no guarantee against a failure. Any input? Thanks!

DiveMe:
We have a Nekton cruise to Belize booked for later this year. We're definitely going to take our own gear, including our dive computers, but I wondered if we should consider buying a backup guage just in case. We're planning to have our gear serviced prior to the trip (annual service), but we all know that's no guarantee against a failure. Any input? Thanks!

I was on a liveaboard last June. I had my computer serviced a couple on months before but being safe I brought a second computer with me. Its a good thing since my primary computer malfunctioned. I was lucky to have the second computer as a back up since there was not a dive shop on the boat. Better safe than sorry is my new motto.

Enjoy the trip....

What kind of computer do you have - wrist or console, air integrated or not? Might make a difference in what you want to do. When you say a backup gauge, are you talking about pressure, depth, time, everything?

I think you should have a backup to a computer. If you're really using the computer the way most people do on a warm water dive trip, especially a liveaboard, IMO the best backup to a computer is another computer. Otherwise if you do have a failure you may wind up sitting out a bunch of dives. Backup gauges will allow you to bail out more gracefully and continue diving tables at some point, but realistically you won't have enough details of your earlier profiles to go back to tables very quickly, unless you are unusually good about tracking things separately from your computer. So it partly depends how much missing dives would bum you out.

You should always have a back-up gauge with you when you dive. That way if you run into any problems with your computer whether it be head space or mechanical you can finish your dive with the tables. This however requires you to PLAN AND LOG EVERY DIVE. If you are relying on your computer to do all the work for you, then you are setting yourself up for an accedent. You really need to continue the basics you where taught when you where certified. It is for your own saftey. If you run into any kind of problem underwater you need to know what your curent profile is regardless of what your computer is telling you. So:

1. Get a back-up depth gauge and botom timer.
2. Plan every dive before you get in the water. (Know your RBT, Max Depth, time at depth, air limits etc.)
3. Dive you plan and make notes on your slate as you dive: Time in, time at each depth etc.
4. Log your dive as soon as you surface. (Calculate your pressure group, surface interval, etc.)

I dive with a computer on every dive, but I don't rely on it to keep me safe. Have a Great trip!

Thanks everyone! It looks like my DH and I will be discussing whether or not to get a backup analog guage or a backup computer. We're usually very diligent about logging our dives and checking the tables to make sure we understand our limits, and will be even more so on our liveaboard when we'll be doing maximum nitrogen loading during the week.

In a slightly related matter, I noticed Nekton fills nitrox to 29% with a guarantee of 26%. Anyone know why they would deviate from the standards?

Their literature says "Nekton's standard fill is to 29% with a guarantee of 26%. Nekton has adapted the 29% standard in order to maintain 1.4 PPO considered safe for repetitive, recreational diving to a maximum operating depth of 130 feet."

As an aside, they are now charging $250 for Nitrox for the week, or $15 per tank. When I asked why I was told it's because the compressor system they use requires very expensive replacement parts, and with the low number of Nitrox divers (compared to a land based shop) makes it an unprofitable venture, so they are simply focusing on breaking even.

DiveMe:
Their literature says "Nekton's standard fill is to 29% with a guarantee of 26%. Nekton has adapted the 29% standard in order to maintain 1.4 PPO considered safe for repetitive, recreational diving to a maximum operating depth of 130 feet."

As an aside, they are now charging $250 for Nitrox for the week, or $15 per tank. When I asked why I was told it's because the compressor system they use requires very expensive replacement parts, and with the low number of Nitrox divers (compared to a land based shop) makes it an unprofitable venture, so they are simply focusing on breaking even.
hmm, maybe if they gave the typical 32% fills at a lower price they'd have more Nitrox divers? Some other boats offer all the 32% you can breath for $100/per week, and I doubt they're doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom