Nekton Pilot - Nitrox Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm so anxious to get my Nitrox course done that I went out tonight and bought the manual (with DVD and tables) at my LDS...never hurts to get a jump start on the reading. OH...and I have booked my Nekton trip to Medio Reef. It will be my first liveaboard and first opportunity to get 4-5 dives in per day...if I choose too! Many have told me you don't have to do 5 dives a day every day...but it will be hard to sit out!!

I am going to play devil's advocate here (and I am a nitrox instructor and often do use nitrox for cave diving). I worked on Nekton for close to eight years, most of them in the pre-nitrox days. For that time period the large majority of our guests were doing 4-5 dives a day without nitrox. I can look back and honestly say that I can count on one hand (less than 5) the number of cases of DCI that occured on the boat. That was seeing literally thousands of divers do 4-5 dives a day over a period of many years. Does nitrox make diving safer? Yes, it can. The question really is how much safer? I would argue that if it makes you feel more comfortable doing 4-5 dives a day then go ahead and pay for the nitrox, but if you follow your computer closely, it really does not make diving that much safer.

For those of you who have been on the Pilot, do they have a few analyzers or are you better off bringing one of your own? I recall from the class that having your own is preferred for obvious safety reasons, but most places we've gone seem to have a few laying around and 99% of the guests seem to use those. Does the Nekton?

Thanks!

I just got back from the Nekton Pilot St Croix itinerary yesterday (4/11). There were (I think) 10 of us nitrox divers and we got consistently 27-28 percent Nitrox.

They have an o2 analyzer on the dive deck that everyone used.

My experience on the Pilot when she was still doing the Belize itinerary was Nitrox consistently between 32% and 34 %. Fewer divers were using that side (although we only had nine guests) as mentioned earlier so that could be considered a plus. They did have an Analox Analyzer on board and it's readings were the same as I got on my own. The only down side (other than the extra charge) was the maximum depth limit that did restrict my movements on some of the wall dives. I didn't mind the extra charge and felt the added margin of safety was worthwhile given that I was getting an average of five and sometimes six dives a day.

I just got back from the Nekton Pilot St Croix itinerary yesterday (4/11). There were (I think) 10 of us nitrox divers and we got consistently 27-28 percent Nitrox.

They have an o2 analyzer on the dive deck that everyone used.

Onewolf - are you planning to do a trip report? There have only been a handful of reports (mixed good and bad) about the St Crox itinerary and I know I am not alone with wanting to hear your views.

robin:D

Onewolf - are you planning to do a trip report? There have only been a handful of reports (mixed good and bad) about the St Crox itinerary and I know I am not alone with wanting to hear your views.

robin:D

Ummm, I've got a stupid question..... :confused:

Where are trip reports supposed to go on Scubaboard.com? Because I don't see a specific sub forum for trip reports?

Ummm, I've got a stupid question..... :confused:

Where are trip reports supposed to go on Scubaboard.com? Because I don't see a specific sub forum for trip reports?

Trip Reports on SB go in their respective location.... so you could post it here on Liveaboards Forum OR in the Caribbean Forum. I would put a link on the other forum though to let people know you have a trip report and where you put it. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom