Nekton Rorqual 7/25/09 - 8/1/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is a big shame it happened in the middle of a trip and affected the passengers though. :depressed:

I feel for the captain. He is relatively new on the Rorqual, so it is hard enough to get a crew behind a new captain when he comes on to a vessel where the majority of his crew has worked together for some time. At least he will have a new crew to work with and he will not be considered the "newbie."

I have mixed feelings on how this was handled. I think I would have done the same thing, but in the back of my mind I am wondering if the captain should have waited until passengers disembarked before announcing the drug test. At least the "drama" would have played out after the guests were gone...on the other hand, if telling the crew immediately eliminated the use of drugs from that point on during the cruise, perhaps it was for the better.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings on how this was handled. I think I would have done the same thing, but in the back of my mind I am wondering if the captain should have waited until passengers disembarked before announcing the drug test. At least the "drama" would have played out after the guests were gone...on the other hand, if telling the crew immediately eliminated the use of drugs from that point on during the cruise, perhaps it was for the better.

I don't think the captain had much choice. As soon as he became aware of the possible drug problem, he is obligated to take all measures possible to identify the culprits and suspend them from any safety related duties rergardless of the consequences. He did the right thing. But maybe he should have immediately briefed the guests on what was happening and not leave that to rumor. If I were a guest onboard, I would have appreciated hearing it directly from him.

If he choose to wait until the guests departed and in the interim an accident occurred, his decision to wait would be hard to defend.

This is just part of a continuing string of problems with Nekton boats.

H2OGal: You were warned in an earlier thread about the Nekton. But I hope your trip goes well. There is a group of divers who swear by Nekton, not at them. Maybe you'll become one.

Must be tough to staff a boat at a moments notice.

They need to check the help wanted section on Scubaboard.

I feel for the captain. He is relatively new on the Rorqual, so it is hard enough to get a crew behind a new captain when he comes on to a vessel where the majority of his crew has worked together for some time. At least he will have a new crew to work with and he will not be considered the "newbie."

either way it was all unprofessional especially the public disrespect of the captain and the rumors spread onboard about the captain regardless of the drug test i think people were already fed up. i do think the captain handled it well and salvaged the trip though.

H2OGal: You were warned in an earlier thread about the Nekton. But I hope your trip goes well. There is a group of divers who swear by Nekton, not at them. Maybe you'll become one.

I didn't join ScubaBoard and learn all this stuff until after I had booked the trip. Even so, I'm still going with the anticipation of a great trip! I'm very easy to please, and as they say, "even a bad day of diving is better than a great day at work!"

Gee, I'll bet firing the crew sure muddied up the tipping question.....:wink:

I didn't join ScubaBoard and learn all this stuff until after I had booked the trip. Even so, I'm still going with the anticipation of a great trip! I'm very easy to please, and as they say, "even a bad day of diving is better than a great day at work!"

With an attitude like that I would be willing to bet you have an awesome trip. Just make sure you let us know how it goes.

H20 Gal,

I went on two Nekton Pilot trips, one last December and the other last February. Both were wonderful. The boat was perfect for diving....roomy, calm, well-run. The crew were great. I will almost certainly go on another with them.

The recent experience on the other boat does sound like it was a mess. Replacing most of a crew on short notice is probably gonna be a problem for a trip or two, but they'll bounce back. You're going on the Pilot, the sister ship, and I bet you have a great time.

Ron

Thanks guys--I feel better already! I'll be sure to post a trip report when I get back.
As far as believing all the reviews I read here--I know it's best to take them with a HUGE grain of salt (more like a whole salt lick!) Yes, there have been some bad reviews of the Nekton boats, but there have been a lot of good ones also, so I'm sure we'll have a great time.

Gee, I'll bet firing the crew sure muddied up the tipping question.....:wink:

H20 Gal, you certainly do have the right attitude. Go with the intention of having an underwater adventure and you will not be disappointed. Issues with liveaboards are certainly a concern, but I'm like you, easy to keep happy as long as I'm diving!

I am never surprised to hear these things about a Nekton boat. I recently heard from a former crew member that one of their captains was fired for drug abuse in the last 1-2years. I think part of the problem is that a lot of their crew members are very young and they can't seem to get everyone to behave professionally (including older crew). It's like anything goes. There is certainly a group of people on here who like Nekton and a group that don't. All I know is I've never read as many negative experiences about other liveaboard charters on here as often as I have about Nekton. Our trip with them will never be forgotten and not because of fond memories.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom