Nekton Rorqual: Cayman Islands Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewong

Contributor
Reaction score

Attachments

• tube-coral-on-tibetts-cb.jpg
    tube-coral-on-tibetts-cb.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 28
  • amphithrite-closeup.jpg
    amphithrite-closeup.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 34
  • eagle-ray-tarpoon-alley.jpg
    eagle-ray-tarpoon-alley.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 37
Eddy,

That was a cool review. Thanks. I was in Cayman last week and passed by the Rorqual. It looks really cool. I've never done a live-aboard but if I ever do, it will be with Nekton since I am very prone to seasickness.

Is it difficult to sleep on the boat?

Spady

Spady,

Both Nekton ships are very stable. At some point I didn't feel them moving at all. They claim they are as stable as a cruise ship. However, it doesn't mean that you'll never get seasick. Even though I'm not prone to seasickeness, I got seasick a couple of times during crossings in deep water. I took some Dramamine and I was ok the next day.

Eddy.

Great review. Re sleep on the boat - depends. Personally, I take a sleeping pill to sleep for the first couple of nights. The initial night in open water is likely to make me seasick so I want to sleep through it if at all possible.

Also the boat is noisy, no more so than any other boat, but the generator goes all night, people move about, strange bed etc. Once you get used to it a day of diving will put most people right to sleep.

Good report! Thanks.

I did notice that the number of dives seemed a bit low. Your report listed:

DAY NO. of DIVES
1.... 2
2.... 2
3.... 3
4.... 2
5.... 3
6.... 4

Was this a personal preference of yours, or were you limited to that number?

Alex777:
Good report! Thanks.

I did notice that the number of dives seemed a bit low. Your report listed:

DAY NO. of DIVES
1.... 2
2.... 2
3.... 3
4.... 2
5.... 3
6.... 4

Was this a personal preference of yours, or were you limited to that number?

No, on some dive sites we did multiple dives. I just wrote about them as one dive site. My average number of dives during the Nekton trip was about 5 a day: 2 morning, 2 afternoon and 1 night. There are no restrictions on how many dives you can do as long as you are within safe limits.

Eddy.

Spady:
Is it difficult to sleep on the boat?

Spady

When we did the Nekton Pilot trip a few years ago that was the best sleep I ever had. There's just enough waddle when the boat moves to rock you to sleep, man I miss that!
Ber :lilbunny:

Spady:

Do a liveaboard as soon as you can! I have done the Pilot in Belize and the Rorqual in Cay Lobos (Cuba). Dive, eat and relax. No gear to haul or set-up (after the first time), great food, unsupervised world class diving.....what else do you need. We are headed back to Belize and the Pilot on March 3, 2007. We have a group of 9 and so far their is only one other couple on the boat. That will leave lots of room. You should join us. You will never regret it.

Happy Diving,
Roger

Back
Top Bottom