Nekton Rorqual Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The original post included what happened when issues were reported.

And that is why I suggested speaking personally to either the owner or the operations manager. Obviously that response that was quoted in the OP was to an email. Who knows who responded to the OP's concerns? Speaking to the owner or operations manager would get better results.

I understand your point and had considered your distinction when posting. I agree they may have had a different experience.

However, I think those guys ought to be who is answering such emails. Any email that comes in discussing your business reputation is important enough for the boss or appropriate individual to handle. I can understand that people at that level can't sit around waiting for emails all day, so instead you have either an underling who can handle such issues correctly or underlings who forward you any such messages. Emails are a much accepted and time efficient method of communication. I don't think the poster would have posted this message if they received a reasonably interested response.

I understand your point and had considered your distinction when posting. I agree they may have had a different experience.

However, I think those guys ought to be who is answering such emails. Any email that comes in discussing your business reputation is important enough for the boss or appropriate individual to handle. I can understand that people at that level can't sit around waiting for emails all day, so instead you have either an underling who can handle such issues correctly or underlings who forward you any such messages. Emails are a much accepted and time efficient method of communication. I don't think the poster would have posted this message if they received a reasonably interested response.

I agree that emails are an accepted an efficient form of communication. That being said, they do get deleted and sometimes do not get forwarded to the proper people. My argument here is that IF I has paid nearly $2000 for a cruise and it was lacking in any regard and IF the email was not answered to my satisfaction, I would be on the phone with someone higher up in management. Knowing the owner and the operations manager (and I do), not only would they want to hear about problems on the cruise directly, but they would be more qualified to remediate these problems than someone on the sales staff. I've known these guys for 15 years and I know that they would be more than willing to talk to someone who had a bad experience on one of the Nekton boats. They are keenly aware that customer service makes or breaks a liveaboard company.

Thanks to all for their comments on my orginal post. It does seem that the Nekton has gone down hill in receint years. Lets hope that posts and discussions like this wake the management up and get them back on track. As for me, I think I will choose another company for my next liveaboard vacation.

Thanks to all for their comments on my orginal post. It does seem that the Nekton has gone down hill in receint years. Lets hope that posts and discussions like this wake the management up and get them back on track. As for me, I think I will choose another company for my next liveaboard vacation.

It seems to be a trend in all liveaboards right now, mostly due to the economy worldwide from what I have learned. A couple of the "high end" liveaboards have had negative reports written about them this past year regarding maintenence issues... (I read one recently on another board regarding the Kona Aggressor having a toilet overflow/plugged so bad that they couldn't fix it, trip continued all week with horrid smells from that room, and the guests in that room left the boat at their own expense.) Also read recently about nitrox systems breaking on various other boats and also crew issues. I do believe it is an issue caused by the economy --- boats are not getting booked up like they were in past years, so owner's are saving a buck here and there. Crews may not be getting paid on time and that leads to dissatisfaction and turnover. Unfortunately, I don't see ANY liveaboards being exempt from this problem in the near future except maybe the Galapagos boats which seem to be able to keep drawing crowds (although I have seen lots of posts recently of people cancelling their trips there and boats not being full).

Just my 2 cents.
robin:D

I speak from first hand knowledge - I was on the Nekton Pilot Medio Reef trip May 23-30 - they are not shark feeding.

We stopped at Cay Sal Bank for a day of diving the Big Hole and Silver Sides dive sites....Big Hole had 3 grey reef sharks hanging around and there was no shark feeding. I would have been greatly opposed to them doing one - I personally don't believe in it.

from what I understand, No. That was something Capt Effey did on his own. Other capts didn't do it.

Captain Ephey did not do this on his own, it was done before he got there (September, 1995) and it was company policy to do the feed from 1994 until when I left the company in 2005. I did the feed when I captained the boat, Chris did the feed when he was captain, Steve did it when he was captain, and all of the relief captains did it as well. What has happened since 2005, I do not know.

While I was opposed to shark feeds on a personal level, it was company policy and the company adverised the feed so most guests expected it (although a few sat out the one dive). I felt it was my responsibility that IF we were going to do a feed, it should be done as safely as possible, so I participated on every feed from 1995-2003. I have over 120 feeds in my logbook from the Pilot.

Last edited:
I speak from first hand knowledge - I was on the Nekton Pilot Medio Reef trip May 23-30 - they are not shark feeding.

We stopped at Cay Sal Bank for a day of diving the Big Hole and Silver Sides dive sites....Big Hole had 3 grey reef sharks hanging around and there was no shark feeding. I would have been greatly opposed to them doing one - I personally don't believe in it.

Good, I agree with you all, but I have partaked in the one on Roatan. Nassau we didn't even have to bait and boy did they love the electronics going off in my old MMII and Sea & Sea strobe, but never was bumped like in Robin's report. I bit too far away from Miami to treat a bite on a major artery especially if it was a Bull (IE: the Austrian that died last year or so):depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom