NektonRorqual - Just returned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea wasps live deep and come up to the surface usually right after a full moon for a few nights, that is when night divers usually see them. They can be anywhere in ocean diving, but usually seen where there is a deep wall as they live very, very deep. Normally, divers never encounter them.
I know I posted this here recently, but the only time we have seen "sea wasp" issues was when we were in Bonaire in June 2007. We were warned that they were seen for several nights, not to night dive our first night as some divers had gotten stung there on island in past few nights. We went down to dock that night and sure enough, a guy got out of the water wearing a shortie and he was screaming in pain. He showed us his leg and he had a long whelt around it, bright red and maybe 12" long. It was ugly and he was in serious pain. We sent him up to front desk to see if they could get him some medical help. The next night we went night diving and saw none, but then we were wearing full 3mm suits. We were told that the dive lights attract them IF they are in area.

You have been very lucky robint. Sea wasps are fairly common (even where it is not deep, like here on the Gulf Coast). We spot them fairly frequently off of Sarasota, and have seen them at least once on about half of out Carrribean dive trips. A 3mm or even a skin will protect you, but they always seem to be able to find any uncovered patch of skin. The bubble trick helps, but they sure do hurt when you get nailed. My wife develops respiratory difficulty and the welts will take 6 months to fade on her. If she wants to night dive, I wil jump in first to do a wasp check.

Last edited:
A couple of the divers got hit really bad ! The Nekton crew was excellent tending to them . The hot tub really help to relieve the pain they were in and onboard o2 really helped another. Capt and crew were great

NAIBdiver...Glad to hear you had a great trip. I was on the Rorqual in July and there was a lot of turmoil with the crew. You are lucky you didn't have the sewage smell...it was awful! Who was the captain? I miss Nelson he was a great captain! I do love going on the Nekton but I am going to wait for the Pilot and try again. I really want to do the Mona Island itinerary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom