Neoprene Allergy Reaction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The neoprene allergy comes up from time to time on our Medical forum. You might try our Search feature. I doubt that socks will protect you well. Depending on the advice you receive from a Dermatologist and from DAN, you may have to look into Polartech suits, full foot fins, etc. Don't give up, we have other alternatives to explore.

:cowboy2: don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

vyperman:
You should not wear the dive boots again if you have a latex allergy until you determine the composition of the boots and if there is a latex component or there is a cross reactivity. A dermatologist with an expert knowledge of allergic contact dermatitis (type IV hypersensitivity) would be advised. This is serious and you should not risk another reaction. See a doctor. Do I understand correctly that you did not have any reaction to the wet suit (neoprene?) that you wore? If no reaction to the neoprene suit you must not have a neoprene allergy, so change the boots to neoprene.

The fact that you had an instant reaction to the boots indicates that you are allergic. But is it an irritant or an allergy. Might be that you have an allergy to a component common to both latex and neoprene that might be product dependent. Latex gloves can be made from natural rubber or synthetic and corn starch is often used as a dry lubricant. You need to know specifically what you are allergic. A patch test for latex/neoprene would give you a definite diagnosis.

Call DAN/see a dermatologist before you put on the neoprene boots and wet suit again. They may have a dermatologist/diver on their referral list with medical knowledge of latex/neoprene allergies and alternative products. May be that nylon socks and an nylon skin undergarment might be sufficient if it is only irritant dermatitis, but get a medical expert opinion first.

Good luck!

vyperman

Hi, and thanks for the advice...the only problem is I tried contacting DAN through their website...they have an international link, but not one for Canada??? Maybe I didn't look far enough?

My 13 year old son is also allergic to Neoprene. He suffers from eczema, too. Here are some things that I have learned:
You can contact DAN by clicking on "Send A Message" under "Contact DAN" on the left side panel of their home page. I don't think that Canada is considered a separate entity. While you're there, join. It's very reasaonable.
I received a reply to my message to DAN on this topic just today. Their dermatologists feel that the sensitivity is to one or more compounds used in the manufacture of the neoprene. As I had asked about Henderson's TriLAM suits, they mentioned that this might be a good alternative, and said that many who had tried alternative suit materials had good results, specifically mentioning vulcanized rubber, about which I know nothing.
Some alternative material suits are made with latex or neoprene cuffs and collars, so be wary of that.
My son has had this reaction 4 times. It pops up when he takes the suit off, so we shower him right on the dock and then dose him with Benadryl, to supress the reaction. Despite these efforts, it takes up to a month for the symptoms to recede. Not a nice thing.
I have spoken to Henderson, maker of the TriLAM suit, twice, but they cannot, or will not, provide a small sample of the material to allow us to do a test. I get the impression that they do not even want to speak with me - must be fear of liability.
Unfortunately, Henderson does not make booties in this, or any other non-neoprene material. Sheesh!
My son has been tested for synthetic rubber (that's what neoprene is) allergy, by patch test and scratch test, with negative results. That would tend to agree with the DAN dermatologists that the source of the problem is compounds used in making the material or the wet suits rather than the material, itself.
We tried lycra/fleece under suits (SharkSuits) but they were no help.

Is there anyone out there who has found a good alternative material? Anyone tried vulcanized rubber?

Marty

I don't know if you folks have tried the Search feature I suggested the other day, but here's what I came up with.

The first hit before this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=95899&highlight=Neoprene+Allergy

In which was posted this...
Damselfish:

Hope this helps.... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom