Info NERD obs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMyMyOHellYes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So Silent Explorers wanted to sell me a NERD2 at a vastly reduced price. Not directly needed as I got it covered with Perdii, but a concept I've toyed with and would allow me to loan the backup Perdii to computerless GF or other dive buddy... Who was I to argue?

Cool concept and will probably work well, but I am finding EVERY SINGLE MARKETING **ILLUSTRATION** posing as a picture in every advert for the NERD to be wildly misleading. (admittedly, I've not likely seen EVERY image out there).

They all show the screen taking up the full lens with the image RIGHT THERE on the face.

Not so. It is a tiny tiny square screen WAY down inside a tube... Kinda like looking at a postage stamp through a toilet paper roll.

I think it still holds promise as an one-eyed expedient (seems to work a lot better if I close the off-eye to read it); will probably consider it a backup to the primary Perdix.

Just sayin' I was surprised and a little shocked when I first looked into it after all the marketing ILLUSTRATIONS (they are in no way a photo representation as to what you get.

I’m not sure I understand a word you’re saying, but they’re much more useful on a rebreather than on open circuit. Two, (I feel) there’s an issue with how the depth sensor attaches to the case and if you’re rough on it, I would expect to send it back for repair at least once every two years.

Have you actually dived with one yet? The scaling of the display actually works good while diving. Playing with one while just holding it in your hands, the image doesn't really display as well as it does while diving.

Have you actually dived with one yet? The scaling of the display actually works good while diving. Playing with one while just holding it in your hands, the image doesn't really display as well as it does while diving.
Thanks for the insight - no, just unboxed. I do consider my self a SW fanboy though. (Except for Terics and batteries.... And would be a Teric fanboy except for batteries.)

I've go three bottles to be filled today so I may take it and a pair of trunks to the shop and try in their pool...

OMMOHY

Heads up (pun intended) that you will likely still have viewing issues. It is typical to take several tries (and dives) to get the bracket dialed in just right. Very rare to get it right on the first few tries.

Heads up (pun intended) that you will likely still have viewing issues. It is typical to take several tries (and dives) to get the bracket dialed in just right. Very rare to get it right on the first few tries.
Agreed.

A friend loaned me one, last year, and it reminded me a bit of the magnified viewfinders on some yup-scale camera housings, where the eyepiece had to be positioned against a mask, just so -- though the varying claims of the display mimicking either a 32" TV screen from 12" away (according to the DGX website); or of the Shearwater manual's far more honest assessment of a 25" screen, 12' away (4 meters), both left something to be desired.

It was an interesting device, though I did find it too distracting for my taste; and for a retail price hovering around US 1800.00, I found it overly gimmicky and was expecting something more from the Canucks . . .

...they’re much more useful on a rebreather than on open circuit.
It was an interesting device, though I did find it too distracting for my taste; and for a retail price hovering around US 1800.00, I found it overly gimmicky and was expecting something more from the Canucks . . .
Agreed on all counts. I'd not bother with a NERD on open circuit. Getting it aligned just so would be a pain, and it can be up-in-your-face. Plus, in the case of going to an alternate regulator, you've lost your primary computer. That being said, I quite like the NERD on my Choptima.

One quirk that other posters haven't mentioned: Because NERD's viewport is a magnifying glass, make sure you keep the lens cap on whenever you're not actively using the device. My dive buddy and I bought rifle-scope flip-caps: http://Monstrum Rubberized Flip-Up Rifle Scope Lens Covers

Agreed on all counts. I'd not bother with a NERD on open circuit. Getting it aligned just so would be a pain, and it can be up-in-your-face. Plus, in the case of going to an alternate regulator, you've lost your primary computer. That being said, I quite like the NERD on my Choptima.
When I was futzing with it, OC, it was securely mounted on a rail of one of my full face masks; so the magnifying face was against the visor and stayed in place.

Admittedly, I could see it being a colossal pain in the arse with a conventional second stage . . .

When I was futzing with it, OC, it was securely mounted on a rail of one of my full face masks; so the magnifying face was against the visor and stayed in place.
Oh, that's right...you're one of the FFM people. In that case, I could see a NERD working quite well. Cool!

Oh, that's right...you're one of the FFM people.
Yeah, that's right -- and we've long fought for our rights against the tyranny of low-volume GUE and the Split-Mask hordes . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom