Neutral Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cougar,
You discovered 'diver pushups' on your own.
When I did my OW class (1978) we did these as a required element in the pool and then demonstrated them on the checkout dive.

In my working dives I am rarely neutral. I usually want to be really heavy for working on the bottom, or rather boyant for working under a surface. This way I can stay in place to work.
I have several weight belts for different jobs.
One gets me nearly neutral with just my wet suit and mask on. This gets used the most for installing and removing pipe plugs where I am in and out of the pipe very quickly and often need the cleanest and most compact rig so I can fit into the pipe. In 18" and 24" pipes it is the only way to go.
"Kids, I am a professional pipedope, don't try this at home!"

I have another weight belt with about 30 pounds for moderate work in mild conditions.
For the heavy jetting or dredging or working in strong currents I use a 50 lb, 75 lb commercial harness or sometimes even both.

For fun scuba, I use my Zeagle Scout BC with integrated weight and rig to be neutral just below the surface (between 1 and 5 feet deep) with 500 psi in the AL80.

Anytime I make an equipment change I like to test it in a pool including a boyance check.

I rate good boyancy control as the second most important thing for fun diving right after a good mask that *fits*.

Cool - I use Michael's approach for for my recreational diving!

I have a belt that's weighted to what it takes to keep me neutral with no thermal stuff - then weight my integrated system to cover the extra for wetsuit and whatever - - then when DM'ng a couple more 2's in the pocket for the student that starts floating towards the end of the dive.

The diver pushups reminded me of an interesting neutrality check - as long as you're reasonably comfortable at the end of your dive - - load your weight belt with 2's, and a couple extra - - then when you're at your safety stop - take it off and do the pushup trick. - The amount of weight that stays on the bottom is the amount you don't need to carry.

Back
Top Bottom