New and have some question for diving in the Carribean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WJM

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum, and could use some help with some last minute planning.

I am heading on a cruise to:
St. Thomas
St. Maartin
Antigua
St. Lucia
Barbados

I could REALLY use some advice... for which destinations would be worthwhile, and recommendation on dive outfits I can contact to make arrangements...

I went diving extensively last summer in the BVIs.
Many thanks in advance
-Will

If it was my trip, I would dive St. Thomas, St. Lucia & Barbados, and pass on St. Maartin (unless you can get over to Saba, which is arguably the best scuba in the Caribbean) & Antigua.

As regards dive ops:

St. Thomas -- Chris Sawyer Diving Centre http://www.sawyerdive.vi/

St. Lucia -- Frog's Diving (tell Andre that I sent you)
http://www.frogsdiving.com/

Barbados -- Hightide Watersports (tell Haroon I sent you)
http://www.divehightide.com/
or
Scotch and Soda Diving
Ph: (246) 435-7375

Have fun.

DocVikingo

WJM - When are you cruising. I'll be on the Royal Caribbean cruise leaving April 10th.

aepstein:
WJM - When are you cruising. I'll be on the Royal Caribbean cruise leaving April 10th.

Thanks guys!! I kinda came to same conclusion on sites thanks to some searching. Glad I found my post again, I couldn't find it until now... I leave this saturday... sorry I'll miss you. I'll give you a full report when i get back :bogey:

Does Frog's pick you up or do I need to arrange other transportation?

another question... my girlfriend doesnt dive but snorkels... any recommendations for dive shops that may let her snorkel a site while I dive?

I am not sure I can agree with your choice there Doc on Barbados. I dove with HT and three out of four drift dives we fought and swam against the current until the fifth dive we all revolted and just let the current take us....thus the name...drift dive.

And their pontoon boat that is a converted glass bottom boat.....the ladder starts right at face level when you are in the water making getting back on the boat a bear. A number of divers complained and their answer was....Yes we hear that all the time.
Then fix it !!!

I had a friend just come back from Barbados and she used The Dive Shop and had a
good experience with them.

Rich

> St. Thomas -- Chris Sawyer Diving Centre http://www.sawyerdive.vi/

I live on St. Thomas and got my certification through them. I haven't been diving long, but have nothing bad to say about them. They usually do two dives in the morning, and one in the afternoon. They have night diving on Wed nights, and visit the RMS Rhone (wreck) as an all day trip on Fridays. If you are planning to do the Rhone, be sure to schedule in advance as the trip fills up pretty quickly.

Their web site is also a bit out of date. They haven't updated their calender in a while, but everything else on their site appears correct.

Hey Doc...
Haroon's over at "The Dive Shop" 246-426-9947 (In the US or Canada call 1-800-348-3756) -- Hightide Watersports is run by Willie. Scotch & Soda is run by Ram.

Actually "just" got back from Barbados at the begining at the month, and used Haroon's shop. Enjoy all the diving, though the viz was messy. Normally the viz, like much of Caribbean, is crystal clear. There had been a number of storms which caused a higher level particulates in the water. Still great stuff to see, but it made for lousy picture taking.

If there's space on the boat, most shops will allow non-divers aboard (some times for free, but usually for a minimal cost). It depends on the dive site if they allow them to pop in. Carlisle Bay -- no problem, in fact that's where many of the 'Cat' operators take their passengers to snorkle.

I will be posting some of my pics (including the boat that Haroon now uses) ... but that's not going to do you a world of good, as I'll be doing it on the weekend.

Divingal,

Does The Dive Shop take large groups? I am going to Barbados in Mid April and I was thinking about using these guys, but I would rather not go on huge groups. Also, I could not find a price list on their website. Comments? I'll be looking for your pics. Thanks in advance.

Seawitch2

Back
Top Bottom