New and looking at Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a lot of the above advice makes a lot of sense and I can completely see why me being out of shape can affect my soarness from the fins. I feel for myself, I will most likely try to get a pair of split fins and see how I like them. But to get back in shape I have been swimming 800m a day so hopefully I will be able to make a proper decision between the two!

Thanks for the advice and leads for gear!

I'd also look at Aqualung Slingshots. You can set the bands to the more flexible setting and it's easier on the legs, but you still get that blade level of response from them.

I dive Bio-Fins splits and love them for the most part. If you read the lastest Scuba Diver review they are highly rated. I do find that when I dive at home, thay feel a lot less efficient then when I dive the tropics. Going from AL80 and a 2.5/2 mm full suit with 8# versus Steel 119, drysuit, 400 g undies and 16# of lead they don't SEEM to get as good a bite in the water. They love the flutter, they work okay with the frog, however I still haven't mastered a decent back kick with them.

I will be trying some other blade fins on my next fun dive. I am in a rescue class and I am not ready to try several different blades while I am working on new skills.

Perhaps the question becomes, what direction of diving are you headed? GUE classes prohit splits.

Good Luck;

Dennis

Last edited:
I agree with Skim, if your legs are sore you need to become stronger. Swimming and diving are sports where your survival is based on YOU helping yourself. I sympathize with sore muscles but they will go away!

As for split fins, I shudder to see them on reef most of the time. If you watch divers swimming closely to a reef you will see that there is almost always a silt trail following split fin wearing divers kicked up by the way those fins vector water.

If you already have blades then learn alternate kick styles or even buy a little digital camera, slow down and take pictures of what you see, its not a race.
I wear Atomic and love them. As far as the silt trail I have never noticed, thanks. I will be more conscientious on my next dive.

My darling bride would get severe calf cramps with blade fins.....this happened on almost all dives......

I bought her yellow ScubaPro Twin Jets....cramps are gone.....

Now she would not dive with another fin.......

She is an avid walker and jogger.......so very active......varsity swimmer in High School......

I her case, the fins made all the difference.........

M

Funny you mentioned these fins. I bought them yesterday(full foot)

I absoluletly will never use split finns again. You need to exercise and pay attention to how you are kicking. the split finns kick easier but you odn't go anywhere. It is not a race, slow down and enjoy the ride. If you ever do have to move the blades will get you there

Stick with your tusa brand fins but go with the expert zooms. I find them to be excellent in current and I can swim all day without getting tired. I had to recently swim 800 yards for my Divemaster endurance test and my expert zoom fins worked perfectly. I swam the 800 yds in about fifteen minutes and thirty seconds without hardly trying.

Perhaps wait a bit longer and see if you adjust, before buying new fins. I used to cramp terribly when I was new at diving but after a few more dives my legs adjusted and now I have no problem with blade fins.

If you decide to buy new fins though make sure to try out a bunch before buying.

I've been diving over 40 years starting with Rocket and Jetfins and moving to larger paddle fins. About 10 years ago I noticed more pain in my knees and had difficulty climbing back up on the boat after a long swim. I started trying various split fins in a pool and found I could swim longer and faster with the split fins. I tried Trax, Apollo, Atomic, and Scuba Pro. The Apollo were the easiest and faster fins but not good in current. The Trax were too stiff and felt like paddle fins. The Scuba Pros were just too wide and I couldn't get used to having my legs so far apart to make them work for me. The Atomics seemed to be a good middle ground fin allowing some power in current without the knee pain. Now I'm looking for some fins that may travel better. The Atomics are long and weight is a factor in travel today. I no longer work at a dive shop so trying all the fins in the pool and ocean is more difficult.

I have not been diving too long but i would like to upgrade my gear. I am currently using Tusa Blade fins that are awesome but I find my legs soar. I have been recommended to look at Split fins but what are the better kinds? What should I look for and are sizes about the same?

ScubaPro Twin Jets are the most comfortable. If looking for more performance then look at the Twin Jet Max.

I have dove both models. But really love the Nova Seawings. Not a Split Fin but extremely comfortable and extremely light when traveling on a plane.

Safe Diving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom