New artificial reef in Pensacola Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I'm glad they chose to put it out that far because we need more good spearfishing from shore, since regulations state "No spearfishing within 100 yards of a public swimming beach"

It is going to be quite a swim though... Might be a good kayak dive?

good points....

shallow enough to get covered during the next hurricane. still glad they did it

Yeah. I thought about that happening also.

I was surprised at the amount of life on the concrete rubble over at theo baars bridge... It was all larger stuff like snapper, grouper, and sheepshead but it still had a lot of life on it.

Concrete holds fish, but nothing grows on it... Or if it does, it gets scrubbed clean. Baars is different from the gulf, because you have the oyster shells, so there's more habitat for the little critters that support the bigger, tastier critters.

The next time you dive Gulf rubble, look at what's (not) growing on the tops and sides of the concrete, and compare it to say, the Pete Tide, which has every square millimeter covered up with life... or, just compare the pipe organ to the concrete culvert at Pickens, and you'll see what I'm trying to get at, which is that concrete is better than nothing, but not as good as the other stuff.

Same for the bay bridge rubble out in the gulf. Only thing I hate is there isn't much to figure out a point of reference for navigation.

Maybe for SOME people. I never seem to have a problem finding the anchor line there unless someone moves the boat on me :wink:

-ap

Wow, that sounds awesome. We need more artificial reefs like this one to help make sanctuaries for marine life to come back to the area. Plus this makes our beaches more attractive to visiting divers and snorkelers. A sea turtle is also on my list of things to see while diving and would love to see it at home.:D

I wish they would have dumped some of this on the P-Cola Pier Rubble site, that would have been sweet! I bought a kayak for just this sort of opportunity. Looks like my Kayak might get used a bit more this summer.

Not sure if you guys read all the way through, but they plan to dump more rubble closer in for easier snorkeling and also dump more rubble sites elsewhere(hopefully beachside) within the year.

Personally, I think it was a good idea :wink:

Also don't forget the two planned concrete reefs that will be placed on the bay side and on the gulf side. They will extend from the beach so that snorklers and divers can enjoy. P-Cola is about to have a multitude of cool shore dive locations, I can't wait :D. I hope they keep dumping concrete rubble. There is plenty coming off the old three mile bridge (fishing pier). They coud sink the entire thing by Ft Pickens and you woudn't hear any complaints from me.

Any structure that produces a hole, or a crevice will provide protection for small fish and even large fish to gather and spawn, and giving the dive and snorkeling community a place to go and see this is a priceless commodity.

I would like to take a second to thank Robert Turpin for his tireless efforts to bring all these reefs to our area. We may not agree with all the politics involved with getting reefs placed but through his efforts they are being placed.

Thank you Robert Turpin and those others who take an active role in bringing these reefs to us.

Any structure that produces a hole, or a crevice will provide protection for small fish and even large fish to gather and spawn, and giving the dive and snorkeling community a place to go and see this is a priceless commodity.

I would like to take a second to thank Robert Turpin for his tireless efforts to bring all these reefs to our area. We may not agree with all the politics involved with getting reefs placed but through his efforts they are being placed.

Thank you Robert Turpin and those others who take an active role in bringing these reefs to us.

:thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom