New Blues Guitarist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
My soon to turn 12 year old son has been playing guitar for about 20 months now.

He is heavily into the blues and his dad - me - just bought him his first Fender Strat for his birthday. Colbalt blue that changes color in the light.

Now he can finally get the Stevie Ray Vaughn sound that his Les Paul wasn't able to achieve. We were in a music store in Seattle yesterday and the kid is testing out a Fender tube amp. Oh my word. He had all the adults standing around with our mouths hanging open. When he stopped we applauded him. He was going to and from different SRV songs and I swear if you closed your eyes, you could almost see a black cowboy hat with silver buckles being worn by a 12 year old in a white hoody and long Kakhi shorts. He had one guy who is actually a producer give him his card!

It just goes to show that seemed like an avenue of complete and total noise irritation nearly two years ago has turned into something of profound joy for him and myself. The way he plays is so articulate and his depth is amazing. I know it's going to cost me a lot more $$$ in guitars and gear. Listening to him playing "Lenny" by SRV right now, reaffirms that my role is to keep the door of opportunity open for him.

If anyone of you has a Fender Deluxe Amp that you want to sell let me know. This will make a great Christmas present.

cool to hear about your sun taking an interest in guitar and Blues. i too am a big SRV fan and was lucky enoug to see him shortly before that fatal crash. anyway, i dont know if you have heard of Joe Bonamassa, but the guy is good. check him out here:

http://www.jbonamassa.com/index.htm

go to his "multimedia" section and check out some of the links he has up. there is some great stuff on this site. good luck to your boy.

Bill

Very cool.

Chad

very nice

i know a little bit about being proud of my students when they did good things, can't
imagine what it would feel like for it to be a child of mine

What is really cool is to see your child excel in areas that are foreign to you and where you could never hold a candle to them. My son and daughter have done this already in their young lives. It is very gratifying to see them make their own paths and do so in ways that are both honorable and showcase their talents.

Congrats on your son's rare talent. If he's heavily into blues you might want to consider taking him on the Blues Cruise... http://www.bluescruise.com/. They book many blues greats to play on the ship & many of them have jam nights where anyone can jam with the band. It'd be great exposure to several blues bands/artists all at once.

Cool...congrats on your son starting to really get rippin' on blues! I got the chance to see Keb Mo and Bonnie Raitt play in Dayton last night, and it was pure magic. Even after playing guitar for 16 years, I still feel both energized and humbled by it.

Also, if your son digs SRV, he should definitely check out cats like Hubert Sumlin, T-Bone Walker, Taj Mahal, Albert King, and even old Son House.

By the way, I also recommend that he/you guys get a Blues Deville amp by Fender. I was playing through one Saturday, and it's a scorcher.

If you've ever got any questions or want to talk shop, drop me a line.

Peace out...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom