New Bonica HDDV Camcorder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I just bought one too. I am primarily a still photographer, but I wanted to try some UW video without spending a fortune. Will try it shortly in the Bahamas.

What are people using for a tray and handle? how is the bouyancy underwater .. neutral, light or heavy?

Rick Colman

the camera is positive. i personally use my sony tray plate and handle which i believe is the same as the sea & sea. it works just fine. the only thing i am not use to is it is positive. i prefer if it is negative or neutural. may be i will add some weight to itthe next time.

My experience getting stills out of the Sony HC-7 is that they are very poor even when well lit. My guess is they wouldn't be any better with this set up. A friend just got one and is taking it on a trip soon so maybe he will report on it.

I keep my rigs slightly positive... just enough to float up to the surface should I lose them (never happened, but there's always a first time).

I like to keep my rigs slightly NEGATIVE. If I lose contact, I normally have a leash on my gear, and I don't want it floating up - very annoying. If I want to put it down somewhere on a rock or on the sand, it stays put.

Imagine that you are at a 100' and lose your gear. It floats to the surface. By the time you have done a safe ascent and safety stop ;-) - say 6 mnutes - your gear has floated away on the surface current. Good luck trying to find it again.

Rick.

Imagine that you are at a 100' and lose your gear. It floats to the surface. By the time you have done a safe ascent and safety stop ;-) - say 6 mnutes - your gear has floated away on the surface current. Good luck trying to find it again.

Rick.

Imagine you are at 100ft, on a wall, with the bottom at 800. You lose your gear. Who will you call to get it?

I just got my Bonica HDDV camera and housing, and tried a few videos on land. The motion looks jerky, and I can see blurring. I wonder why this is happening when, with a frame rate of 30 fps, it should be OK. This is, BTW, with the camera on a tripod.

I am thinking about returning the whole package.

Any comments appreciated.

Rick Colman

may be your sd card too slow. you need a fast sd card.

Has anyone used the new Bonica Camcorder? How is the quality of the still photos from a camcorder, can I use one instead of also buying a UW camera? Thanks

I spoke to them at BTS. They are working on one with manual WB. I would wait for that one.

I have, alas, returned my Bonica HD rig without putting it into the water (because, then it would not have been returnable). My main problem was that motion capture was jerky and blurred. I contacted Bonica Tech Support and they were able to reproduce the problem.

That does not mean that this is a bad rig for the price ($750) because I suspect you would need to spend at least twice the money to improve the performance. But I need something that is a bit better at motion capture. After all, video is about movement, right?

Back to my stills ...

rick colman
www.colmanphoto.com

Most underwater photographers that I know prefer to keep their rigs slightly negative. Works for me. Your experience may differ.

Rick.

Back
Top Bottom