new camera advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandie

Reaction score
Someone is giving my husband an underwater camera (well deserved, gift of a lifetime!) He picked this based on DH's passion for diving, complaints about camera (ikelite APS).
The local shop has the Sea & Sea DX3000 (mentioned this to the guy, and $899 was okay price-wise). He hasn't really given a number, but wants me to do the choosing. I think it's what is needed, but doubt he'd go for much more than that.
As an alternative, considering the Oly.5050 and PT-015. Any thoughts or suggestions?
If I can find the prices, though of adding the rapid charger and a 128high speed card (what is hight speed, error free, for more money?)

Hi,
I have a Oly 5050 and Pt-015 and i really enjoy it. You should know that Sea & Sea Japan has discontinued the DX3000 and replaced it with a newer model Ricoh camera inside. Instead of the Caplio it is a G3. Go to Ricoh's website to find out about the cameras, most of which are not sold in the US.
There are quite a few of us who are here as well as on digitaldiver.net who have 5050s and there's lots of info available. The camera is available a Costco for $659 and the housing for somewhere between $214 and about $250 depending where you buy it. Ultimately you will need an external strobe. I use a Sea & Sea YS90DX. And you will also need a tray to hold everything. Hope this helps. TedJ

Hello,

B/H has the 5050 for $629 and the housing for $199.

Ed

There is some question as to whether Olympus America is shipping the housings to dealers like B&H. Many have been put on waiting lists with no clear end in site. That is why many of us have bought on eBay or from "secondary" dealers who frequent the boards. You will have to check for yourself.
TedJ

amazon has it for $589 with an extra free 64mb memory sm card or 128mb for extra 6$ (viking) there is already a 32xd card in the box.

gracet once bubbled...
amazon has it for $589 with an extra free 64mb memory sm card or 128mb for extra 6$ (viking) there is already a 32xd card in the box.

Do they have it in stock and ready to ship? Alot of places list it but it will be backordered for you.

yes your right its out of stock now , but i did order one and it did arrive last week... either its bait and switch with low inventory or its a really hot product.

We weren't referring to the camera being out of stock, but the housing being out of stock. There has always been a generous supply of cameras, however, Olympus America has still not allocated housings to its dealers and will not until the summer (according to their web site). I assume you got the camera from amazon rather than the housing. Right? TedJ

Ted's right. I was referring to the PT-15 housing being in stock. Olympus has been promising it's release to the States at a real cheap price for a few months but none of the distributors have received them as of yet. If you need one, I suggest you get one from one of the vendors who have had them all along.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom