New Cenote damages PDC-Cancun hiway: Bag drag will take longer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When will it be open for diving?

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

Rocks are good. I have seen the holes just filled with water.

Had to do the bag drag this morning due to AA cutting the Tuesday flight for September, thought I would take notes along the way due to apprehension over the damage to 307:

TripLeaving Cozumel, the ferry:Started a walking bag drag from Corpus Christi for the 5:45 ferry @ 5:30 (got side tracked and departed late). Got to the pier at 5:48, the booth for Barcos Caribe was still open, bought a ticket in 10 secomds (135 MXN) and stepped on board at 5:49, departed pier @ 5:50.Nice clean boat, alert attendant who took an order for coffee at my seat and brought it over (17 MXN), not bad coffee and was truly needed. Was on the Playa pier @ 6:25.

Playa, The ADO Bus:Flying standby to DFW so I was not sure when or if I would get on prior to late afternoon and I am way to cheap to eat at the Cancun Airport, so I figured since the next bus was not for 20 minutes I would get some food. Only thing open near the Bus terminal was McDonalds, ain't happening. Walked down 5th a block and swa nothing open and then in a couple blocks and found a spot two blocks up Jurez from the ADO with a half dozen street carts setting up in a little park area. Had an excellent Pollo Torta and a soda, change got mixed up in my pocket but I think it was 25 MXN. Walked back to the ADO @ 6:48 and they were loading up the 6:45 bus, bought a ticket and walked over and got on board, it left a couple minutes later and went down to the in town terminal and picked a a few passengers was back out @ 7AM sharp.7:19, arrived at the new cenotes bypass on 307, traffic barely slowed, the bypass has been surfaced with asphalt and does not impede traffic. The repair to 307 appears to be well under way. The road failure was about 1KM south of Iberostar at around location 308 KM. It was a local bus so we stopped in Puerto Morales and the published arrival time into the CUN airport was 07:50, we arrived at terminal 1 at 07:52, terminal 3 at 08:07. Got a boarding pass from the Kiosk and cleared security at 08:20.

In a nutshell the damage is currently not a factor in traveling to and from the Cancun Airport.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report Gary. When will you be returning to COZ and will it be the bag drag again?
Heading down with Beth on the evening of the 19th thru 29th bag drag both ways. Would have gone into CZM on the 20th but Jorge has the 1/2 IM that morning and we wanted to see him race. I am planning another week at the end of October and hope to see you then.

Went through the obstruction yesterday afternoon and the very short bypass is no problem at all. It is not a "cenote" but just a cavern collapse and no water is present, only about 3 feet deep.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

ALDORA DIVERS

Last edited:
There was water in it when it first collapsed:

federal-highway-collapse-700x450.jpg

Possible to edit or remove the title of this thread since it's not really meaningful anymore?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom