New custom drysuit maker, new to me anyway

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

their self branded dryglove system looks like the RoLock 90.

Their dryglove system does look suspicously like the Rolock 90, so I emailed MODS and they responded earlier this evening.
Here is the text of my message to them:

"Hi, I am interested in your dryglove ring system. Could you please answer the following questions:
1. Are these integratable with si-tech qcs oval cuff rings?
2. Is this design licensed from Rolock in Switzerland?
I have a set of Rolock 90 on my drysuit and am looking for a set to install ony wife's drysuit. She has the QCS oval cuff rings.
We would like to stay with the Rolock 90 design so if yours are the same just rebranded we will consider buying from you.
Please let us know."

Here is their response:
"Thank you for contacting MODS Drysuit.
Here is the answer for your questions.
1. We have not tried it but just looking at the spec it could fit. Here is our spec DRYSUIT OPTIONAL FEATURES
2. We don't have a license from Rolock.
Hope this helps."

Given their lack of definitive knowledge if the product is compatible with the QCS oval rings, coupled with the slight aesthetic differences between their product and Rolock 90, my guess is they copied the concept of how Rolock works in the design of their product.

Without hands-on experience with the MODS drygloves, to understand their product better, it is not possible to recommend them as an alternative to the Rolock 90, especially since the Rolocks are available for within $30 of the current price for the MODS.

-Z

Quick run down of a basic suit (low option) is still $2800.

Geez.. that's still pretty expensive. I don't personally even give it a 2nd look unless it's less than $1.8-$2k. I mean I don't consider it in the same "arena" as Seaskin.

Yeah wow!! Little spicy on the price. Just last year I bought a Santi E Lite for just under $2,000 with shipping from www.diver-direct.cz Plus since they are in the Czech Republic and are one of Santi's larger dealers they get there customers orders in WAY!!! faster than US dealers. I got my suite in 6 weeks. During that same time I heard stories of people waiting for there Santi orders from Extreme Exposure for 3-4x that duration and I think Extreme Exposer was quoting me something like $3,400 for the same suite when I checked. And then be for this I also use to order from deepstop.de in Germany and same thing much much much lower prices than US dealers, super fast shipping, very good customer support (although I think in the last couple years deepstops prices have gone up a little bit)

Another great company that will also cost you about $2,000 shipped is O'Three in the UK. Wow do they most nice suits and that price is for a fully custom sized suite with all the fancy goods (pee valve, Sitech ring system neck and wrist, pockets, etc.) They also have a couple different materials and configurations for the materials for all you cave/wreck divers out that that need that little extra protection, of course these are additional cost. The other thing about O'Three is there customer service is great, you actually deal directly with them you speak to a real person that is passionate about there product. You can ask them all kinds of questions about there suits. It is a really one on one type service. This is the one thing I really do not like about Santi is that you do everything 100% through the dealer and you have no clue what is happening to your order as Santi does not like to share much info.

Yeah wow!! Little spicy on the price. Just last year I bought a Santi E Lite for just under $2,000 with shipping from www.diver-direct.cz Plus since they are in the Czech Republic and are one of Santi's larger dealers they get there customers orders in WAY!!! faster than US dealers. I got my suite in 6 weeks. During that same time I heard stories of people waiting for there Santi orders from Extreme Exposure for 3-4x that duration and I think Extreme Exposer was quoting me something like $3,400 for the same suite when I checked. And then be for this I also use to order from deepstop.de in Germany and same thing much much much lower prices than US dealers, super fast shipping, very good customer support (although I think in the last couple years deepstops prices have gone up a little bit)

Another great company that will also cost you about $2,000 shipped is O'Three in the UK. Wow do they most nice suits and that price is for a fully custom sized suite with all the fancy goods (pee valve, Sitech ring system neck and wrist, pockets, etc.) They also have a couple different materials and configurations for the materials for all you cave/wreck divers out that that need that little extra protection, of course these are additional cost. The other thing about O'Three is there customer service is great, you actually deal directly with them you speak to a real person that is passionate about there product. You can ask them all kinds of questions about there suits. It is a really one on one type service. This is the one thing I really do not like about Santi is that you do everything 100% through the dealer and you have no clue what is happening to your order as Santi does not like to share much info.
I looked into O'three. Really nice suits. A little more pricey then Seaskin. If money wasn't an object to me then maybe I'd of gone for something different. SS had a good track record on here and so far it works.

I'm at hour 48 on the suit underwater and it still looks brand new and dives like an iron man suit... knock on wood!

I have a Mods Drysuit (love it) and the Rocklock 90 looks like it's the same concept where the male ring fits into the suit and also how the glove locks onto the ring.

I'd be happy to check and see if the Rocklock 90 fits into my suit, but I've never seen those in person and don't know of any LDS that carries them in the PNW.

Quick run down of a basic suit (low option) is still $2800.
I got mine in heavy poly, dry gloves, replaceable silicone neck and wrist seals. Shipped to my door, and including taxes for a little under $2800.

The only thing I didn't get which I didn't think I needed was p-valve and convenience zipper. I felt like heavy poly and dual heavy poly in the knee pads were good for me.

Their dryglove system does look suspicously like the Rolock 90, so I emailed MODS and they responded earlier this evening.
Here is the text of my message to them:

"Hi, I am interested in your dryglove ring system. Could you please answer the following questions:
1. Are these integratable with si-tech qcs oval cuff rings?
2. Is this design licensed from Rolock in Switzerland?
I have a set of Rolock 90 on my drysuit and am looking for a set to install ony wife's drysuit. She has the QCS oval cuff rings.
We would like to stay with the Rolock 90 design so if yours are the same just rebranded we will consider buying from you.
Please let us know."

Here is their response:
"Thank you for contacting MODS Drysuit.
Here is the answer for your questions.
1. We have not tried it but just looking at the spec it could fit. Here is our spec DRYSUIT OPTIONAL FEATURES
2. We don't have a license from Rolock.
Hope this helps."

Given their lack of definitive knowledge if the product is compatible with the QCS oval rings, coupled with the slight aesthetic differences between their product and Rolock 90, my guess is they copied the concept of how Rolock works in the design of their product.

Without hands-on experience with the MODS drygloves, to understand their product better, it is not possible to recommend them as an alternative to the Rolock 90, especially since the Rolocks are available for within $30 of the current price for the MODS.

-Z
I finally got a chance to see the Rolock 90 compared to the Mods. They look the same but the tab sizing is different so they're not Interchangeable.

I'm still happy with my Mods Drysuit FWIW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom