Question New Dive Family: Purchasing 2 Regulator Sets: Same Brand or Two Different Sets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Librarybarry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just curious what thoughts are on two new divers purchasing reg sets for first time: IYO, is it more advantageous in any way to purchase two of the same set ups? Conversely, is purchasing two different sets to test similarities differences a good/bad thing?
Let's play this as: All things being equal (hose lengths, SPG, etc), both sets would be balanced diaphragm 1st stages, and balanced 2nd stages. I don't want to necessarily say which brands I'm thinking of at the moment as my limited time on the forum has led me to not wishing to open that particular can of worms. All reg sets being considered have mostly favorable reviews on SB.
Thanks for any knowledge you care to impart.

Bb

I did this a while back. I had my own gear, but as my daughters were old enough to get certified, they needed their own. I decided to stick with the same brands and similar configuration. I did this for a couple reasons.

First, being the same brand, it's easy to get them serviced at the same place. Also, being the same configuration makes it possible to easily swap out a regulator set if one were to develop a problem without having any issues with unfamiliarity.

First, being the same brand, it's easy to get them serviced at the same place. Also, being the same configuration makes it possible to easily swap out a regulator set if one were to develop a problem without having any issues with unfamiliarity.
Yeah. I'm thinking along these lines. I guess it's just a matter of "Do I want to try out different regs?" or not. Thanks for your input, Brian!

For the reasons listed previously, same brand.

Just curious what thoughts are on two new divers purchasing reg sets for first time: IYO, is it more advantageous in any way to purchase two of the same set ups? Conversely, is purchasing two different sets to test similarities differences a good/bad thing?
Let's play this as: All things being equal (hose lengths, SPG, etc), both sets would be balanced diaphragm 1st stages, and balanced 2nd stages. I don't want to necessarily say which brands I'm thinking of at the moment as my limited time on the forum has led me to not wishing to open that particular can of worms. All reg sets being considered have mostly favorable reviews on SB.
Thanks for any knowledge you care to impart.

Bb
If you get the same brand it will be easier to service as more often than not, dive stores favor a few brands over others. It is also quite handy if you need an additional octopus or to repurpose an older second stage as you can always match it easier with the same brand reg.

Closing, believe it or not it might also avoid stupid complaints about having inferior gear... who knows, knows :wink:

If you get the same brand . . .
Closing, believe it or not it might also avoid stupid complaints about having inferior gear... who knows, knows :wink:
True. I have thought about the possibility of squabbles over who will dive which set.

I highly recommend same brand for reasons mentioned above.

Also:
  • May be easier to swap around 1st stage, 2nd stage, spg, etc in case of a problem.
  • Everyone will be generally familiar with the same regs.
  • Any spare parts, service-tools, etc for one will be compatible with another.
  • If you ever go sidemount, or sell to a sidemount diver, having two of the same reg is usually preferred.
  • A slight reduction in headache if you ever choose to sell them, as you don't have to create two listings. Also, that if someone is looking for two of the same reg (ex: sidemount, or husband-wife divers, etc), having two of the same might be attractive.

Yeah. I'm thinking along these lines. I guess it's just a matter of "Do I want to try out different regs?" or not. Thanks for your input, Brian!
You can always rent, borrow, buy used, etc. I don't think there's enough of a reason to buy a new set, just to try it.

You can always rent, borrow, buy used, etc. I don't think there's enough of a reason to buy a new set, just to try it.
I agree that there is likely not enough reason to buy just to try. If you do decide to rent first, the performance of the regulator should be just one data point. The rental regulator may be purposely detuned a bit to prevent freeflow, or might otherwise not be maintained as carefully as a personal set. I know I'm pretty particular with cleaning and maintaining my gear, with a rental set the average user is probably only taking care not to destroy it.

For the most part, the key things are to make sure that you can get service when you need it. Most regulators perform well enough to exceed the needs of probably every user out there. When you narrow your search, it might be worthwhile going into your preferred LDS that services that brand and ask them one question. "How many service kits are there for {INSERT BRAND HERE} regulators?" Some brands use the same service kits across their entire portfolio. That can give you some idea that as long as the brand is still in business, service kits will likely still be available. Otherwise, if a different kit is used for each regulator line, they may get hard to come by if a particular line is obsolete.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom