New Diver- Basic equipment recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would go for:

Dive computer (do some research and choose an entry level computer - no need to spend a lot on this just yet as the technology changes quickly and your needs may change over time).

Mask (try before you buy)

Mares Avanti Quattro fins - they have been around for a while and have become classics. The latest version is the Avanti Qauttro Plus (basically some upgrades to the buckles and slight modification to the fin material).

The rest hold off on a bit and rent if you can... you'll get a better idea of what's out there and develop your personal preferences for the type of diving you do.

Get yourself only the required gear at this time. So mask, fins, snorkel. When I was certified, weight belt was also required, but with so many weight-integrated BCs, that may not be required now.

Mask: Get one that fits. You should be able to hold the mask to your face with no strap just by gently inhaling through your nose. If you can't do that, it doesn't fit and will leak. I prefer a mask with a dark skirt as it cuts down on light from the sides/glare.

Fins: Don't need anything fancy. I prefer open heel. Currently using Aqualung Express ADJ fins, and I like them. Previously used a very basic Zeagle fin. Used those until they pretty much disintegrated.

Snorkel: Whatever's cheap. I don't normally use one anymore. A lot of divers carry a rollup snorkel in a pocket in case they need one.

That's it for now. For your next few dives, rent different gear to get a feel for what you like.
BC: Be sure to try standard and back-inflate BCs at a minimum. If you can find a shop that will rent a Backplate/Wing, try that as well. This will help you get a feel for what you feel most comfortable with.
Reg: Try a few different brands. A balanced set will breathe the same throughout the dive, where an unbalanced reg will get harder to breathe as tank pressure drops, so I'd recommend a balanced reg. Piston vs. Diaphragm is a personal choice. A piston will be capable of flowing more air, but in the real world, it won't really matter. Both are capable of providing more air than the diver will be able to use.

Computer: I've seen similar questions on other boards, and it prompted me to think about this. For a new diver, getting a computer is probably not a bad idea. You don't have to spend a ton of money, but should probably get a computer capable of Nitrox at a minimum. Depending on your budget, you could also take a look at Air Integration. Times have changed since I was first certified (1990). Back then, computers were around, but not nearly as common as they are today. Some courses are even taught using computers. The computer should not be an alternative to learning tables, but can help a new diver. With some, you can set alarms related to depth, PO2, time, etc. AI computers also add tank pressure into the mix. One thing that they do great, though, is monitor your ascent rate, and recommend a safety stop. For these reasons, my diving has gotten safer since I added a computer to the gear.

Wow, all great info! I honestly feel like I'm learning quite a bit. I plan on doing WARM water dives mostly; probably won't do much cold water at all. Mid to low 70's at the very least is where i'll bottom cap it at first. I WILL wait until I get my cert to make a move and purchase the bulk of the gear. I met a guy that buys equipment from dive shops that are closing or have too much inventory and sells for half market. So if he's legit, I was planning to take everything I learned here and from the class to make an educated decision.
In addition, when I say travel I mean a few hundred miles or down to the keys to the farthest driving. I'm a smaller guy (5'6", 150lbs) but I can lift a lot. Regardless, I would like to be as lightweight as possible because that makes sense to me when diving. Sorry if that's a NEWB misconception. I will definitely try on what I can at the dive shop and I agree with previous comments. It seemed like all they had was top of the line Oceanic costing thousands. I'm not an impulse buyer by any means. So ideally I am hoping to get everything for $600-$800. That's why I'm here, asking questions, getting book smart. Thanks again thus far!

Regardless, I would like to be as lightweight as possible because that makes sense to me when diving.

Don't let that thinking lead to buy a very expensive titanium regulator. In the Atomic Aquatics line, the Z(whatever) and B2 reg.s do fine. You don't need something 2 or 3 times the price for a minor weight reduction if it breathes the same. Check out some other threads on Atomic regulators and I think you'll see what I'm talking about. Think the Z3 vs. the T3.

Richard.

Since you want to stay in warm water, with a potential for travel i would focus on small travel friendly gear.
Fins that are 17" or shorter and the smallest travel BC you can find. Besides those two it is mostly very similar gear. I agree with drrich2, the added cost to save a few gram/ounces is not worth the cost.
I have a travel setup that i can fit everything for a weeks trip into one carryon and a personal bag, when diving warm without a wetsuit.

Regardless, I would like to be as lightweight as possible because that makes sense to me when diving.

Not a terrible intuition, but the law of diminishing returns is definitely in full effect here.

One recommendation would be Miflex braided hoses. Not only are they lighter than their standard rubber counterparts, they pack far smaller.

2__57357.jpg

I'm able to pack a full set of doubles regs plus two stage/deco regs into a bag originally designed for one set of single regs. About the size of a six-pack/lunch cooler bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom