NEW Diver, coming at ya from Denver Colorado

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spdcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hey all!

As expected by the title, I am new here. just became open water dive certified the other day.

took a week and my fiancé and I were trained in the florida keys. warm and clear water was nice! we both had things that we struggled on as neither of us have spent much time on the water without a boat keeping us afloat, let alone being under the surface. We were lucky enough to have a very detail orientated trainer who happened to be a good friend of my mothers.

the seas didn't cooperate with us very well so we only got out to the reef's for one two tank dive. but wow. what an experience. We didn't even get on the airplane in fort Lauderdale to come home before we were searching around for our next scuba adventure.

We are both interested in furthering our certs and knowledge, first and foremost with more dives and then some UW photography and spearfishing. later on prob wreck related skills/certs.

Thanks for the add! look forward to speaking with everyone!

howdy and welcome from southeast florida...glad you had a great time and congrats to you and your fiancé for you certs....please get a few 50 dives in before task loading photo and spears to the mix...now get out there and dive dive dive...oh and don't forget to have fun....(big smile).

Last edited:
oh yes! experience is first on the list! we won't have much time for big trips due to the wedding in sept. but there is a few localish places ive heard of. things we can do in a long weekend without having to fly.

off the top of my head is the blue hole in santa rosa NM. and Midland in Heber City Utah.

Carter and Chatfield lakes are a local option. My wife and I were certified in them - it's been awhile. Not alot to see and still a bit chilly in summertime. An Arvada LDS has a small lake/pond they use frequently for fun and training. Local pools are available when an LDS is using it. I use them for camera or new gear checks and not to just get wet.
And yes, dive more before you start adding cameras and spearguns, etc.
I would definitely get to know people in multiple local dive shops. Some can be more sales oriented than others tho. There are quite a few in Denver metro.

Carter and Chatfield lakes are a local option. My wife and I were certified in them - it's been awhile. Not alot to see and still a bit chilly in summertime. An Arvada LDS has a small lake/pond they use frequently for fun and training. Local pools are available when an LDS is using it. I use them for camera or new gear checks and not to just get wet.
And yes, dive more before you start adding cameras and spearguns, etc.
I would definitely get to know people in multiple local dive shops. Some can be more sales oriented than others tho. There are quite a few in Denver metro.

ya, I've heard some like to dive horsetooth and aurora reservoir as well. I expect we will dive many locations locally just to get some more time under water. there is also a dive shop near me, but I haven't been in yet. santa fe/belleview area I think.

always interested in meeting others in the area with similar passions!

Ah yes Horsetooth and Aurora res. Well we don't dive locally now since there is no way my wife will dive cold water again and I don't want to invest in thicker wetsuits or drysuits. Probably A-1 is near you if I read it right. We are north and well, we don't use them. YMMV.
I am guessing that your reference to Midland near Heber City Utah is Homestead crater.
There is a Rocky Mountain forum under the US regional forum, Western US forum where you might get better info or divers with the same interests.

Ah yes Horsetooth and Aurora res. Well we don't dive locally now since there is no way my wife will dive cold water again and I don't want to invest in thicker wetsuits or drysuits. Probably A-1 is near you if I read it right. We are north and well, we don't use them. YMMV.
I am guessing that your reference to Midland near Heber City Utah is Homestead crater.
There is a Rocky Mountain forum under the US regional forum, Western US forum where you might get better info or divers with the same interests.

I'll google into A-1. and yes homestead is what I was referencing. I don't particularly "desire" to dive in cold water, but I do desire to dive. and I live in Colorado, so cold water it is! good training with less than 30ft visibility like I had in the keys anyways.

I will check out the regional forum. still getting use to this forum layout.

You might consider looking into Shart Bait Scuba Club. They hold a few events thru the year and a monthly meeting in Lakewood. You can find them in the Rocky Mountain Forum.

After you get more experience you can also volunteer at at the Aquarium. They were a high pain in the ass to deal with when I volunteered there in 2013/2014. But I heard they have a new and better dive director.

I'll google into that as well! I have a friend that dives for her aquarium in phx. never really thought about it, but that makes sense. Anything to get me some more experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom