New Diver Looking for Next Budget Scuba Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For budget diving Cozumel is pretty hard to beat, and is really good diving, but there are other good options as well. Blackbeard's liveaboard is an easy way to get A LOT of diving in inexpensively. I have done one trip with them, and it's a little too value based for me. I prefer a little nicer accommodations but the value in certainly there.

Cruise diving, while not the best diving makes for a decent budget priced trip that you can add on a day or two of diving. It's often good to get in a couple of days of diving, but keep the rest of the non diving family happy as well.

...I would like to go on a budget scuba diving trip for 4 days/4 nights in February. I will be flying out of LAX. Do you have any suggestions as to where i should look for a budget scuba trip? I don't mind staying at hostels as long as they are clean and safe. Also, I would consider dive packages that come with accommodations...Thanks!

Can you manage a few extra days? You'll probably only get 1.5 to 2 days of diving if you have to travel so far for such a short trip - and remember that you have to wait at least 18 hours after diving before flying home.

If you are on a very tight budget then I agree that a Blackbeard's liveaboard cruise would offer the best value. It costs only $995 for a week (Saturday through Friday) and that includes up to 19 dives, accommodations, and food and beverages - including beer, wine, and rum punch, see the link below. And you can probably find good airfare options for Nassau, it's a popular destination.

We did a Blackbeards cruise in the past and although we had a great time, we decided we liked more comfort and privacy and we haven't been back - but it is was a very good value and exactly as advertised - I'm not complaining.

And I think that a liveaboard cruise would be much easier than taking a short trip, living in a hostel, making diving arrangements, and figuring out food and transportation - because everything will already be taken care of, you'll just have to show up and dive.

The sleeping accommodations on a Blackbeards boat are quite Spartan, just a bunk in a dormitory with a curtain for privacy, but it doesn't sound like you are looking for luxury and the dormitories are air-conditioned, so that's good.

Do you have a dive buddy? If not, then that's another good reason to consider a Blackbeard's cruise, because there is no single supplement. The prices at many dive resorts and vacation packages are based on double occupancy and they often charge a hefty extra fee for divers traveling alone, unless you can find a roomate.

But one word of caution, in February the water temps in the Bahamas will be in the low to mid 70s, that's too cold for me, but maybe you are okay with colder water?

Hope you have a great trip wherever you decide to go!

Blackbeard's Cruises Scuba Diving Liveaboards

Last edited:
Hello! I'm a new scuba diver with just 6 dives under my belt. My last dive was in September in Caye Caulker, Belize. I'm really excited about scuba diving and can already see my travel plans changing. With that said, I would like to go on a budget scuba diving trip for 4 days/4 nights in February. I will be flying out of LAX. Do you have any suggestions as to where i should look for a budget scuba trip?

A little more expensive, and with 'get what you pay for' advantages, options exist, such as the Juliet (see scbaNE2179's recent review). They hit different places at different times of year; they'll be doing St. Croix in February, and that would be an interesting place to do a live-aboard I imagine.

Later, when you've got more dives in and a comfort level for colder water diving, be aware you've got some nice options in the California dive scene (my trip report from this summer with Truth Aquatics on a limited load Southern Channel Islands trip; here're my notes from researching for a California trip).

Richard.

Cozumel again to echo what others have said. Also, since no one has mentioned it, have you looked into the Invasion or Surge trips? Hard to beat the value there plus the perks of all the great prizes and other 'freebies' that a newbie can use (nitrox cert and buoyancy & trim class).

The Cayman Brac Beach Resort (a great Caribbean dive resort with excellent diving) is offering a 5 night package during late January through mid February) for $935. That includes accommodations, airport transfers, 2 meals a day, 2 dives a day, hotel taxes and hotel service charges, see the link below. You can add on additional dives and lunch meals for an extra fee if desired - but this price is based on double occupancy and you haven't indicated whether you are traveling alone or with a buddy?

You must book by Nov 16.

Cayman Brac Beach Resort - Timeline | Facebook

My budget diving :santa4:

shutterstock_103002572.jpg

Key Largo
Flight (LAX to FLL) $300
Hotel (5 days) $400
Dives (6x2 tanks) $400
Car rental $150
Food $200
DM Tips $100
Total $1475 for 12 boat dives