New diver seeking reg advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Opossum,

Personally I feel you can't go wrong with an Atomic regulator. I know they aren't cheap but here is an important thing to remember: Atomic's regulators are all based on the same design the only difference from one model to the next is the material used: either marine grade brass or titanium.

I personally dive an Atomic B2 with swivel. All Atomic's regulators breathe very easily and very rarely need maintenance. They will go about twice as long as other regulators before needing to be serviced.

I also recommend Atomic's SSI alternate air source as well. Overall, even while they are expensive I just think Atomic's regulators are top notch for any diver: beginner or expert - novice or pro.

If you just really don't want to spend that kind of money on a regulator then check out the Genesis GS2000. I personally don't think there is a better performing unit for the price. Check out www.diveworld.us and give them a call and talk with Gregg. He is a personal friend and not only an expert on scuba equipment but will give you a very good deal on either an Atomic or Genesis unit.

**EDIT** I noticed Dive World's site is down for maintenance. The number there is [SIZE=-1](724) 225-1819.[/SIZE]

Great post, couv. Although, I think it's "wheat from the chaff." Wheat=good; chaff=bad. Weeds=also bad. :D

You know, I have posted that several times and have never caught the error, thanks. That ought to learn me to pruf reed more carefullly. I do begin with a disclaimer though.

c

I have found the Mk2Plus/R295 reg system on Scubapro.com. I have not found anything listing the R190. Is the 295 the updated model? (sorry for being such a newb! :rofl3: )

Yes, pretty much. It's a great choice for you based on what you wrote, I just didn't recommend it because it wasn't on your list. Actually, I think a couple fo the regs on your list are based on the same sort of design.

Don't worry about the warranty or "free parts for life" bit; it's hardly free, you have to get the reg serviced every year to get the "parts." If you saw a rebuild kit for a MK2 you'd laugh; it's 2 o-rings, a small puck of hard plastic, and metallic filter element. In reality, if you dive occasionally and treat the reg well, it could go several years without any service. That's the beauty of the simple non balanced piston design; there are no dynamic o-rings subjected to HP air, only 1 moving part, and failure is basically unheard of.

Yes, pretty much. It's a great choice for you based on what you wrote, I just didn't recommend it because it wasn't on your list. Actually, I think a couple fo the regs on your list are based on the same sort of design.

Don't worry about the warranty or "free parts for life" bit; it's hardly free, you have to get the reg serviced every year to get the "parts." If you saw a rebuild kit for a MK2 you'd laugh; it's 2 o-rings, a small puck of hard plastic, and metallic filter element. In reality, if you dive occasionally and treat the reg well, it could go several years without any service. That's the beauty of the simple non balanced piston design; there are no dynamic o-rings subjected to HP air, only 1 moving part, and failure is basically unheard of.
I appreciate that info. I could not find a technical diagram to see the core design of the reg. I think that is the same design that I saw in my training DVD I got from my LDS. Thanks!

I think I would be ashamed to charge the price they charge for rebuild kits. Sherwood kits are similar, but at least they only retail for about $8.00 for both stages.

I do have a Scubapro Knighthawk BC with an Air2 octo built in to the power inflator. My need for an alternate 2nd stage is not required. I do love the fact that everything is simplified with my octo built in. I like to keep things clean. :D

I have found the Mk2Plus/R295 reg system on Scubapro.com. I have not found anything listing the R190. Is the 295 the updated model? (sorry for being such a newb! :rofl3: )
you may as well go another 35.00 and get theR395 second it has the VIVA control that come s in handy

I do have a Scubapro Knighthawk BC with an Air2 octo built in to the power inflator. My need for an alternate 2nd stage is not required. I do love the fact that everything is simplified with my octo built in. I like to keep things clean. :D

For about 30.00 more you can get a R395 ,it has the VIVA control handy feature (SORRY ABOUT THE REPEAT, SCUBOARD WENT FUNKY ON ME!)

I may have to check it out. My LDS (which I actively support, even though it costs a bit more) does have a Mk2/R190 in stock. I already talked to my instructor about it and he said that I probably would do fine with that model. My wife on the other hand gets scared rather easily. I think she needs a very good flowing and easy breathing reg in order to really enjoy the sport. I'm looking at a Mk25/S600 for her. I can set it up easily, then tell her to just leave it (until she really understands how to tune it).

So yeah I will be getting a sub $300 reg system, while her's will be over $500. Dang I'm nice to her. :D

They all breathe easy. I have not used the Mares low-price unit, but it is popular here. The Scubapro is an OK breather and is rugged enough for rentals. The Alpha 8 is good enough to pass the Navy test at 198 feet. I use Oceanic and like them. Below 198 feet is where the primium units really shine. If that becomes a regular destination, I need a whole load of new stuff.

Good luck,

Stu.

If tuned correctly, the MK2/R190 will supply plenty of air and breathe very easily. I sincerely doubt your wife could tell the two regs apart in a "blindfold" test at normal rec depths. In fact, I've done direct comparisons between the MK2/R190 and a MK15/G250 (very similar to the MK25/s600) on consecutive dives, when both reg sets were tuned well. There's very little difference. I feel that reg performance is one of things that is subject to a great deal of hype and some misinformation. I also think that regs that get used as rental regs get a bad rap because they are frequently de-tuned or in dire need of rebuilding and/or tuning. It is true that the performance of unbalanced, downstream 2nds is more dependant on tuning.

A point of interest to me is that at 90SCFM flow capacity, the MK2 is theoretically capable of emptying an AL80 in under a minute. Another is that even the very top 2nd stages, under full purge, flow about 60SCFM, meaning even the lowly MK2 supplies more than enough air than any 2nd stage made. One more is that during a conversation I had with Peter Wolfinger, a former SP engineer and the author of a famous book on regulator function and design, he mentioned that 10SCFM was considered the extreme upper end of what a diver might need in terms of air. See where this is going? By far the weak link in terms of air flow is the tank valve. Ease of breathing is a different story, but that's where the tuning comes in.

Anyhow, what you might do is have your wife try the MK2/R190 and see if she likes it before spending the money on the MK25.

Back
Top Bottom