New diver wants to take a trip in sept

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might want to check into Little Cayman Beach Resort. They were running a special in May to waive the single supplement charge on their fall special packages in September. That is usually their low time of the year and it looks like they still have space available on their specials, so they might agree to still waive the single fee if you ask nicely. Can't hurt to call them.

I poked around a bit, and if you can get their fall special price, 2 dives per day, all meals, and lodging would be $1383. Looks like Cayman Air is running a special sale right now and fares from Grand Cayman to LC and back would be $102.50 and looks like you can get to GC on American or Air Canada for about $450. So that would fit in your budget and it is a terrific place to dive. Would be quite a step up from staying in youth hostels, but with that budget, you can afford it if they will still waive the single supplement.

For my money, Cozumel is the best value/diving combination in North America or the Caribbean. I have done many solo trips to Cozumel, and if you really want to dive, and don't care about luxury accommodations (just what are you going to do in your hotel room other than sleep?), and are willing to learn just a bit of Spanish, enough to order at the locally owned taquerias, you can stay there really cheap and spend your money on diving. Package deals at Scuba Club Cozumel are available that include food, lodging, and diving, but I was always the more adventurous type, preferring to go ala carte. You can find hotels for as little as $30 US a night (many years ago, I managed to stay for less than that -$24 US a night, but I don't know if that's still possible). In July, 2012, I stayed a few nights at Hotel La Casona Real for $43 a night, INCLUDING all taxes, and that was far from the low end of Hotels I've stayed at in Cozumel; it even has working AC and a pool. It's about 2 blocks directly back from the Plaza, easy walking distance to the Plaza and many downtown restaurants. You can get up early and walk to the Zermat Bakery for Coffee, Juice and pastries for breakfast (or buy your pastries the night before), then catch a dive boat from an operation that leaves from a downtown pier. Aldora leaves from downtown, but it is one of the more expensive Dive Ops; I really like it because of the HP Steel 120 tanks, LOTS of air, LOTS of bottom time, and long SI at a beach club. But if you shop around and negotiate for a multi-day dive package, you should be able to find a Dive Op that leaves from downtown (or will cover the ride to and from the Caleta -- that's the marina where most dive boats start from in the morning -- its well south of town, and a hefty taxi fare if the boat doesn't come to your hotel or a downtown pier to pick you up) for $55-70 US a day for 2-tank boat dives. And there are lots of very good places downtown where you can eat cheap. I would typically budget $40-$50 US a day for food, but you could easily get by on as little as $25 a day if you like Yucatan food and were willing to eat at the cheap local places - the food is still damn good. As an example, I would eat a late lunch after returning from the diving at one of the local Loncherias that offer Comida Coridda (literally, "meal on the run"), a fixed price meal that includes chips and salsa, soup, an entree (chicken mole, enchiladas, fish -- there are usually at least 2 choices, often several) served with rice and beans, and unlimited agua fresca to drink, for 70 pesos - about $7 with tip. Then, for a late dinner, visit one of the many Taquerias along Ave. 35.

Do not be afraid of the currents at Cozumel. Cozumel has lots of very fine dives appropriate for beginners. It is drift diving, meaning you drop off of the boat, descend to the bottom with your group, the Dive Master will lead you through the dive, and you just let the current carry you along. If you can learn not to fight the current, it's the most relaxing diving there is. And the qualty of diving in Cozumel is unmatched -- clear water, incredible visibility, abundant sea life, magnificent coral structures.

---------- Post added August 10th, 2013 at 01:17 PM ----------

I just got done checking on Hotels.com, and you still CAN get a room in Cozumel for $24 US a night -- at Hotel Posada Edem, downtown, North of the Plaza, about 4 blocks back from the Ocean. On Hotels.com, it is $168 US a week. ad 14% for tax. For a nicer place, try Suites Vima, a very small (12 rooms) hotel North of the Plaza, about 2 blocks back, right around the corner from Zermatt Bakery, at about $35 US a night, and it has a pool! So, figure $40 a night total for Hotel, $40 a day for meals, $75 a day for diving (that's $60 a day for Dive Op and $15 a day to tip Captain and DM), and $20 a day for taxis, drinks, misc., that's a budget for everything except Air of $175 a day, or $1,225 a week. And you can go cheaper, as I pointed out above.

---------- Post added August 10th, 2013 at 01:19 PM ----------

Whoops - I overestimated. If you stay for 7 days, you will not be able to dive 7 times. Only budget for 5 or 6 days of diving. So subtract $75 or $150 from above estimate.

Out of Canada, there is some charter operation (Sunjet? Funjet? Sunwing? Snickerdoodle?) that packages super cheap flights and more than reasonable resort accommodations. The stuff I had seen in the past was to Roatan's offerings- isn't the top rung diving resorts, but if price is an issue they had their following. They were running a lot of people down to Roatan and putting them in Fantasy Island and Henry Morgan, etc.

Unfortunately, the charters really drop their flight offerings during "low" season. There are no pre-packaged vacations to Roatan now until November. Sunquest has some offerings to Cozumel using Delta (non-direct flights) where you can get an all inclusive flight and hotel package for about $1200. So, you'd have about $800 left for diving which is doable. I'm sure there are better options out there. Send me a PM with your travel dates and I can look up some options for you, if you like.

Christy

Reactions: Doc
Thanks for all the ideas guys. Got it narrowed down to blackbeards, Saba or cozumel. Now to just look into details more and decide which one will win

Cozumel is always cheap for divers in PHX. I watch KAYAK and when prices drop, that's when we book. I just checked for you and for September 14 - 21, airfare on Delta from YYZ to CZM is $433. We like Hotel Cozumel for our money. 7 nights, all inclusive, 5 days - 2 tank dives = $1,123 for single. Find a dive buddy to share the room and it's $1,815 or $907.50 per person for the room and diving.

Single diver = ~$1,556
w/ Dive Buddy = ~$1,341 per person

Good luck and maybe we'll see you down there.

Have you considered a live aboard? Blackbeard's cruises are out of the Bahamas. It's all inclusive so meals are included. They have bunks so you don't have to worry about single supplement and there are plenty of diving opportunities.

When I was a new diver, I was very lucky and won a trip on Blackbeards. I had about 12 dives as well and everyone was so kind and helpful to the newbie. Wherever you go, have a great time.

As far as Saba, I agree, it can be advanced and you have to land in St Martin then take a ferry to Saba. It could increase the number of nights you have to stay to make your flight.

Actually you can fly to Saba. It's an e-ticket ride though:

Cozumel is always cheap for divers in PHX. I watch KAYAK and when prices drop, that's when we book. I just checked for you and for September 14 - 21, airfare on Delta from YYZ to CZM is $433. We like Hotel Cozumel for our money. 7 nights, all inclusive, 5 days - 2 tank dives = $1,123 for single. Find a dive buddy to share the room and it's $1,815 or $907.50 per person for the room and diving.

Single diver = ~$1,556
w/ Dive Buddy = ~$1,341 per person

Good luck and maybe we'll see you down there.

Hotel Cozumel is a nice hotel -- rooms are large and comfortable, and the pool area is huge. And the house Dive Op, Dive Paradise, is certainly adequate. I stayed at Hotel Coz in July, 2012 as part of the Scubaboard Cozumel Invasion, and my only complaint was that the food was TERRIBLE. The Breakfast buffet is fine, as far as it goes, although the coffee is mediocre at best (but that is common throughout Cozumel), but I ended up eating lunch and dinner outside the Hotel 5 out of 7 days. I am a foodie, with fairly high standards; there were numerous other attendees at the invasion that thought the food was "just fine." And while Dive Paradise is not my first (or second or third) choice for a dive operation, it is certainly a safe and competent operation that will give you a good intro to drift diving on Cozumel, and very convenient (a short walk across the street) if staying at Hotel Cozumel. I would gladly stay at Hotel Cozumel again, and use Dive Paradise, as long as I could pass on the AI deal. Even with bad food, the AI deal might make sense if you drink a lot, and can get your money's worth at the bar - you can still afford to go out to dinner at a restaurant to break up the monotony of boring tasteless gruel that they feed you.

I did a solo dive trip back in May to Bermuda. Great wreck diving with gin clear, warm,calm water. You can save tons of money by renting a room in a small guest house or apartment. Make sure your lodging is very close to one of the many dive operators because there are no rental cars and cabs can get pricy. I rented a moped for getting around the very beautiful island. Act soon because September is the last month for warm water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom