new diver with spear gun questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, its a private boat. My wife and i are out nearly every weekend. Shoot me a message.

As as former gov't firearms instructor, we always taught our co-workers to treat every weapon as if it was loaded until you verify it yourself, and to ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAY stand out of the line of fire, so that things like this don't happen: A spear in the head - latimes.com
Shot by his 15 y/o GF while she was loading the speargun - ouch!

KL

KL

Wheres that photo of the guy with a spear through I ass when I need it? :p

On topic though, I would not carry a speargun untill bouyancy and situational awareness is dead on, even when preoccupided.
The dangers of the gun itself is one thing, but you also have the dangers of diving that needs to be given as much or even more priority at all times.

guys i appreciate that you guys are trying to look out for a fellow diver, but i have been hunting on land for years and have been around firearms, i know i need to be careful because i will die if the wrong mistake is made.

Welcome to Scubaboard. haha.
The length of the gun you use is pretty much related to the visibility you're hunting in.
The shortest gun I use in Belize is a 54 inch Riffe C3X. My go to gun is a Wong 55 hybrid. Sounds like one gun is only an inch longer than the other, right?
Nope, the stocks are that long but the Wong has about 8 inches more band stretch making it a longer gun in reality. The band stretch is almost equal to the Riffe Baja PLus, which is Riffe's longest standard gun. 65 inches.
There's a lot of personal preferences when it comes to brands of guns. JBL is a pretty solid gun from what I gather but I've never used one. A guy on Spearboard who shoots many 80 lb plus fish on the rigs off Louisiana swears by JBL.
If you're hunting in 40 foot plus vis, go with at least a 50 inch gun. The longer the better because it will allow you longer shots on wary snappers and other challenging fish.

Gee, there is a bunch of negative nancies on here isn't there. You want to go for the longest gun that you can handle, both in terms of your arm length and in terms of the conditions. For low vis, you will go for a shorter gun and if you are in and around caves and crevices you probably want to go shorter as well. All of my diving is done on breath hold using a floatline attached to the butt of the gun but if you are going to be on scuba I think you will need to use a different setup. Maybe they use a breakaway rig or a reel or something. In terms of brands, I have always gone for a rob allan, which is an excellent rail gun. I've just recently stated using and Aimrite Venom which is a great setup also; super accurate and very powerful.

The number refers to the length of the gun. In some brands it is the shaft in other guns it is butt of the gun to end of shaft while loaded.
This is typically in cm.
Basically the longer the gun the longer shooting range it has. The thicker or more bands the more power it has.

In my opinion in the ocean anything under a 90 is to small.

When you decide what gun you want PM me. We carry just about every brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally am against all sorts of underwater "hunting"....

Well, no offense, but you really shouldn't be posting that here in the Underwater Hunting forum. The people posting here really don't care what your opinion of it is. See "rules for posting here".

Well, no offense, but you really shouldn't be posting that here in the Underwater Hunting forum. The people posting here really don't care what your opinion of it is. See "rules for posting here".

Agreed. I guess we should all switch back to commercially harvested seafood, that's a far more sustainable decision, right? Then again, the Dutch have a generally different attitude about personal firearms (which isn't a real jump to make from firearm to spear gun). Oh well...

For those guys that posted information answering the questing near the end thank you very much i wish i would have seen it before i got a speargun. Unfortunately after they grandmas ruined the thread i left for a while, to the guy that offer me a ride in his boat i thanks man this is not meant towards you. Anyways i ended up getting a JBL magnum competition, is only a 48 or a 49 but i guess as a started gun it will do, specially since i traded an old rifle that i had no use for to get it.

To the guy posting about Dutch gun values or whatever i am not sure what u meant but the only country in Europe that has any kind of gun value TO MY KNOWLEDGE is Switzerland, fine rifles they make, the rest up Europe can stick their gun values where the sun don't shine and i'll keep my American gun values. O and by they way i have lived elsewhere i was born in a country that still a dictatorship with no private gun ownership. Anyways to you guys at the end thanks for your info and for contributing some value to this board i am glad i did not give up on it.

O and and we make all kinds of mistakes everyday, i would not call them all wrong as some work out quite well, if making the wrong turn saves me from a car crash i am going to say that was the right turn even if it wasn't the way to get to my destination. Next time please contribute witty comments usually ad very little. One more thing a gun of any kind is just a tool like any other, people may die because of a mistake with a gun but then the same can happen with a car. Should i not own a car then, should i not educate future vehicle owners when they ask questions, questions that will educate them on proper use that will lead to knowledgeable drivers which if they are descent people will abide by the rules that knowledge has brought them? now change car with speargun, and driver with driver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom