New double wings from Halcyon and Tobin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericfine50:
Thanks Jeff. I am not sure I am running out myself - Just fun to try new toys...I Mean gear out :D
I fully understand that issue :D

JeffG:
There are times you will want to trap air on one side or the other. Be it a hole or carrying stages. If you connect both sides this may effect how a wing will behave.

Now, Tobin did say on the Decostop that on his wing he solves that problem by making the channel small in comparison to the depth of the wing side.

So the end result, you make a wing that is a bit easier to dive but that could potential allow gas to travel when you don't want it.

Since I don't have a problem diving a horseshoe type wing, I won't be running to the store to solve a non-existent problem.

Hi Jeff,

The small connection we provide at the bottom of the wing is to limit the added buoyancy at the bottom of the wing.

It's been my contention for a long time that donut wings don't really do what people think they do, including singles donuts.

Any donut wing that has the lower connection between the pontoons between the tank and your rear end will transfer gas across this connection unless you are butt high. If you are horizontal, and using the wing normally, i.e. it's only partially filled, all the gas is in two bubbles along each side of the tank(s).

If you stay horizontal the gas can only communicate through the top arc of the wing. To get the lower connection to "pass gas" you need to go butt up, i.e. far enough butt up to make the space below the tank higher than the bubbles along each side.

It's no great trick to keep more gas in one side vs the other. Consider this also, with a single tank the tank is fairly far away from you butt, the center channel, and bend in the backplate (and maybe a STA) all offset the tank from your back. In doubles the tanks can almost touch your butt. If the connection from one side to the other has to pass under the tank, i.e. between the tanks and your butt, in doubles that's a long way downhill that bubble has to travel if you are horizontal.

If one considers how a BC should be used, i.e. adding gas on descents and venting on ascents being butt up for venting is actually pretty rare.

How do you ascend butt first and also dump your Dry Suit? I have yet to encounter a Drysuit "butt" dump. (for which I am thankful:D)

Where I have found it most useful is if I overfill on a descent, and need to dump a bit to avoid rising, nice, but not vital. Our local waters have been very low vis all summer, 10 ft is a good day. If I see the bottom late and over react I may have to dump a bit, especially with the added mass of doubles.

On horizontal ascents one can of course dump both the DS and the wing from either the OPV or the inflator, but if you are horizontal the gas is migrating from one side of the wing to the other via the top arc, and not the lower connection.

Hope this adds clarity, and not confusion,

Tobin

hermosadive:
Scuba groupies, who would have thought.
LOL - indeed!

Actually, we were both teaching classes on the same beach at the same time ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom