New Drysuit owner with some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. I have read several divers say that their USIA suits are a little baggy in the legs and they have found gators or ankle weights helpful. I have semi-heavy fins but still find myself with "floating feet". would either of these be a good investment, even if I just use them to get more comfortable with the rest of the suit and then lose them later on? what's a good weight for someone who is already a slow-moving surface swimmer? what do people mean when they say they use their ankle weights as "tank weights?"
I worked with an instructor on this with a different suit, his suggestion was to use less air in the suit and skip the gators. His suggestion was to not put any extra air in the suit until 20 ft/6m then be very sparing with air after that. This might not be appropriate in really cold water.

thanks for the tip Max!

Sheeper, I'm doing my DM right now so 90% of my dives are with my instructor. so I'm not going at it blind and fumbling my way through. but he's the only one I know who has a drysuit, so I figured I'd throw my questions out there to the community to hear some different points of view.

is he actually a drysuit instructor? my last 3 drysuit students were instructors looking to get more into drysuit diving. There is a lot more to it than many people think.

Back
Top Bottom