New England diving on Chronicle tonight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia:
I know Marcie Billinski has some involvement too, but I'm not sure in what capacity.[/QUOT

i watched the show tonight and all marcie did was drive the boat. the show was interesting that it taught some history on some ship wrecks and also had mark stanto from divers down. never knew mary richards was a deep water diver as they went down over a 100' in boston harbor. good show all in all

nite_diver

It was generally an interesting show. They had an extended profile of the Pinthis (wreck 5-6 miles off of Scituate) and how it went down....Mary Richardson actually dove the Pinthis, and we saw footage of that. They also included some underwater footage of the Portland from Stellwagen Bank (Mary obviously didn't dive that one -- VERY deep). They also showed folks diving on 2 wrecks in Boston Harbor -- the City of Salisbury and another mystery wreck being explored by Marcie Billinski. Final footage was from the "silver ship" on the south shore.

One of the angles they focused on during the show was the preservation of the wrecks -- they contrasted the shallower wrecks and how they have been picked over with the footage of the Portland, where you could see plates, cups and all kinds of artifacts laying out in plain sight on the bottom. They interviewed one guy who has a ton of artifacts in his home (including the beautiful whistle from the Pinthis salvaged back around 1989). My kids turned to me and asked why this guy had taken all of these things for himself......

That was a very nice show and thanks a million for letting me know about it. Very enjoyable.

I'm not sure how I feel about taking things from wrecks. The problem with the preserve in place idea is the stuff may be lost for ever due to degradation. On the other hand, raping a wreck and putting the stuff in your living room does not seem quite right either.

The diver interviewed in the show and diving with the reporter is my uncle. About 99.9 % of my dives over the years have been with him on those wrecks. The Pinthis is a deep dive, over 100' to the bottom. Hats off to the reporter who went down with him.

Hi

We just got back from DEMA, so we didn't see the show. Mary is a a regular customer, who I'm told by Genevieve is fairly "fearless" when it comes to diving as well as being and extremly down to earth woman . We did a refresher with her last year in anticipation of trying to get this show together at the end of last summer, but the weather didn't cooperate. I know they were finnaly able to get out with Marcie earlier this season.

Paul

I wish that I had a chance to see it. I wonder if they plan on repeating the show.

aquageek:
I wish that I had a chance to see it. I wonder if they plan on repeating the show.

On the Channel 5 website, there is a "Chronicle FAQ". They say they don't sell copies of shows (FAQ #10), but they will notify you of a planned re-run if you contact them. There is an e-mail address at the bottom of the web page linked below:
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/chronicle/282820/detail.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom