New Everio Hard Disk Camcorder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tribaltim

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Everyone it's been a while. I just recently bought a new JVC Everio Camcorder. It's awsome NO Tape. No Disc. Harddrive that downloads directly to my computer for video editing. I also purchased the JVC WR-MG77 underwater case which is equally as awsome. My question is lighting could someone explain to me the importance of haveing a light on my video camera even durring daylight. I currently reside on Okinawa, Japan where the water vis is truely incredible all the time. I have a Nocturnal SL-50 Rechargable dive light and I looked up arms and stuff on their website do you think if I purchase the L-Arm thingy that this would be sufficent enough for a novice videographer?

Thanks for your suggestions and information in advance,
Tim

Using lights during the day is normally limited to closeups. A filter will usually work better for medium and wide angle shots.

Before you buy the arm for your SL50, is the SL50 very negative ? If it is, it may make your housing difficult to hold with a heavy negative light extended from it with an arm.

I suggest getting a filter for daytime shooting. If you don't already have one, you'll be surprised what a difference a little pink filter can make. If JVC doesn't offer one, Ikelite probably makes one to fit your housing. You just need to tell them the diameter of your port. If you want to film at night, I guess you will have to mount a light or get a very nice buddy.

Is that the same thing as a Light Diffuser because I was told by someone else that I would need a Diffuser so I was going to buy one of those also to go on my light and by the way I really appreciate you helping me out.....

Tim

No, sorry I wasn't more clear. The filter goes on your housing. For blue water dives, the filter is pinkish colored. You've probably noticed things look a little blue and colorless as you go deeper. The filter attempts to add coloring back in. Have you ever seen those rose/pink colored masks ? It's the same concept.

Here is a link to the URPro website. They are the main underwater filter mfr.

Filters

A diffuser is for your light. Most dive lights have a narrow light beam and small "hot spot" in the middle. A diffuser widens the light beam so it covers a larger area and lessens the hot spot.

Hey, video is a blast, so no problem answering your questions. I no expert though. You should read some of the posts over on the Wetpixel board. A lot of pro's and semi-pro's over there. They are so good, production companies pay them for their raw footage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom