New exercise + diving article

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Eric,

There are a couple of other considerations:

1. Most studies that involve exercise and diving use VGE (venous gas emboli, or Doppler bubbles) to measure decompression stress.

From a medical standpoint, a conservative approach is best. I think that your idea of adding an increased personal factor on your computer after a regular maintenance run or bike ride is very reasonable. Beyond that, you're going to have to be the judge of what's conservative based on your knowledge of your own level of fitness, recovery time, and exercise routine. For example, are you planning on making a series of deep technical dives three hours after pounding out a max set of bench presses or going for a personal record 10 K time? Might not be not such a good idea.

I'm riding on Dr. Powell's coattails here because he's already said this, but overall physical fitness is GOOD, and you sound like a pretty fit guy. I also think it's worthwhile to mention the fact that most working military divers exercise strenuously on a daily basis. Physical conditioning has been demonstrated to have a protective effect, and I think that by being conservative and mindful of your own physiology, your risk of DCS post-exercise will be mitigated by your overall level of fitness.

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks, this is the kind of insight I've been looking for, or at least to get confirmation about from a couple of different sources (instructors etc). Much of what was included about this in my OW course seemed more directed towards vacation divers rather than regular/frequent "local" divers.

Thanks again,
Eric

Back
Top Bottom