New feller from Kansas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoot2retrieve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone, I'm Rob and am very new to this game. My wife and I just passed our OW 1 classes. Waiting to do our actual dives for part 2. I absolutely, love it and I've only been in the pool. I'm obsessed with the outdoors and love hunting and fishing. And is a big part of why I pursued certification. The whole other world under the water that I've always tirelessly thrown my crankbait into, with only my imagination and sometimes a fishfinder to visualize what structure or fish lie beneath can become first hand reality and I am very excited. I hope to run into someone that dives locally around the Kansas area or Oklahoma to dive with as much as I can. I grew up on Grand Lake in Oklahoma before I moved to Kansas for college. However, besides a few shallower spots in grand I think everything was much to murky to warrant diving but will definitely explore those avenues. I love going to the ocean and will plan some trips to dive, but I would say 95% of the year or more would be somewhere local freshwater. I hope to learn a lot and pursue as many certifications as I can. Definitely some great info around the site. Thanks

Didn't say where in Kansas you are but try these club Welcome to the Frontpage they do a lot local trips with Coz trip coming up in Feb and Key Largo trips in April and May. There is also a trip planned to Bonaire in the fall. Locally we dive Table and Beaver and last summer made 14 weekend trips diving locally. New club and lot fun.

Hello and welcome.

shoot2retrieve, welcome to ScubaBoard and to freshwater diving. Depending on what part of Kansas you're in, I have two dive partners from Wichita, that are under Tenkiller most weeks of the summer. Table Rock, Beaver lakes in Arkansas, are popular with divers. If you have your bass boat, along you'll be popular at any of our lakes.

In your early dives you can expect to fumble with your equipment, and scare fish for quite a distance around you. . . but start watching the small sunfish and when you can swim without disturbing them, you start seeing the small bass around the edges. A little more time to settle down with the small bass, and you'll be able to move without disturbing the bass. . . then you'll be ready to learn their movements, and what lake features attract bass, and what features will chase them to the other ends of the lake. You're at the beginning of a great adventure. If you need guidance, you're with a very large group of adventurers, and we love to share.

Thanks for the welcome!!! My boat is not your typical bass boat (glitter boat), so style points are not in order at all. Mine doubles as a waterfowling boat so camoed and such. However it does get from point a to point b. I've swam at tenkiller a bunch as a kid and in high school, I have a good friend that lives in Talequah (sp?) I cannot wait for it to warm up to be able to go diving. Hope I get over the clumsiness quickly as to not scare all the fish, but will be fun none the less. And CWS I'm from Whitewater, KS which is just northeast of Wichita a small bit. Again, thanks guys for the welcome.

Welcome! I was certified in freshwater myself in Lebanon, TN at Martha's Quarry. Having grown up fishing it was great to finally swim at depth among the fish I grew up catching.

First thing you want to do is get your Open Water certification. However, If you've never been before you can also do a discover scuba class. They will take you out to 30' (after a training session) and you'll know right away if this is something you'd like to have in your future or not. There are a few different organizations you can go through. Most people go through PADI. They are accepted all over the world. But you wouldn't really have any issues going through SSI or NAUI. All are fine training groups. Good luck!

Im stationed at Fort Riley I'll be looking for some places to dive as soon as it warms up and a dive buddy.

Back
Top Bottom